Replacement valve inners for Mavic tubeless wheels

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Fairly new to this but I think one of my valves might be a little clogged with sealant as it's a struggle to get air into the tyre.

I've read some comments on other sites about people bulk buying inners and just replacing them every so often rather than changing the whole valve or trying to clean out the old inner. Any tips on where these are from and do I need specific ones for Mavic road?

Thanks

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Do they use special Mavic specific valves?
    On my (admittedly MTB) tubeless tyres you just have one of these: https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... 40mm-Black and the presta core is just a bog standard one. I've only had to replace the core when I sheared one off being ham fisted while removing it - LBS had them for £1 each.

My pump struggles to inflate the tyres - it feels like really hard work compared to when I do it with the valve removed - but it's the same on tubed tyres so I'm putting it down the pump.
  • Still none the wiser on this but as a bit of an update Mavic say:

If the inner valve core has got some sealant blocking it then you can remove the valve using the valve core removal tool, and then once you have taken out the core open the valve at the top and then you should be able to move the inner workings of the valve with your fingers and if there is anything stuck in there you can try and use warm/hot water to clean it out.

Due to the design of the core you can not see through it, but you should be able to feel how freely the core can move and any blockage would become apparent.

I would also suggest removing the valve outer body and checking the opening at the foot end of the valve to make sure that this has not become blocked with sealant.

Mavic do not sell the cores on their own, and should you find that the valve core has an issue then you may need to look at replacing the complete valve.
  • david7m wrote:

Brilliant, thanks very much.

Stupid questions again though but you've got tubeless tyres on your MTB?

Are these different from those you get in "normal" inner tubes with removable inners like conti?
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Yes, I'm tubeless on mtb.
    Can't you take one of your existing out and measure it?
  • david7m wrote:
    Yes, I'm tubeless on mtb.
    Can't you take one of your existing out and measure it?

I could do I guess but there are no measurements on the ebay item so wouldn't help. For £1.30 though it's not the biggest gamble in the world though! Estimated delivery mid November isn't that speedy though.....
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    They're are UK sellers which will be faster :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holdlebe-Unive ... B0761QKNHD

or walk into lbs and ask for a few
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny