Cleats move when clipped in

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Don’t know where this topic should go but will post it here anyway.

So I have black LOOK cleats (0° of float) and they still move side to side when clipped in. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it that the pedals are worn out (maybe something to do with the Carbon plate)??

Thanks

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Which pedals do you have.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Which pedals do you have.

Look (titanium version) and using black look cleats
  • webboo
    Does not the tension on these depend on which carbon springs you have rather than your cleats.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Does not the tension on these depend on which carbon springs you have rather than your cleats.

Yes, there are 3 blades: 12, 16, 20 Nm. I have the 16Nm one. The thing is that my feet move just like with the grey cleats (maybe a bit less movement).
  • Sounds like cleats or pedals are worn
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Sounds like cleats or pedals are worn

Cleats are like new. Pedals are less than 1 year old.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Side to side motion ? Isn't that different to float ?

And I'd always go with floating over fixed. Much kinder to your knees.
  • webboo
    Compared to when you first got them, how much more movement is there.
  • Webboo wrote:
    Compared to when you first got them, how much more movement is there.

I always had the grey cleats and switched to black ones a month ago. My tt bike also has look pedals and there’s no movement.
  • webboo
    I have a pair with the carbon spring. I can’t remember what strength and I have more movement in them, than my normal look pedals.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I've recently moved over to Look from Shimano & have pretty much the same set up as you. Used to use blue Shimano (2.5 degrees of float) cleats & started with the grey Look cleats but there was far too much float for me.

Changed to black & although I was a bit nervous riding fixed I don't think they are quite as fixed as the Shimano red cleats if that makes sense. There is still a little movement albeit very little but it's still there.

If the setup is different to from your TT to toad bike I'd say maybe the pedals are at fault? Maybe try a new blade & see if that helps?
  • ibr17xvii wrote:
    I've recently moved over to Look from Shimano & have pretty much the same set up as you. Used to use blue Shimano (2.5 degrees of float) cleats & started with the grey Look cleats but there was far too much float for me.

Changed to black & although I was a bit nervous riding fixed I don't think they are quite as fixed as the Shimano red cleats if that makes sense. There is still a little movement albeit very little but it's still there.

If the setup is different to from your TT to toad bike I'd say maybe the pedals are at fault? Maybe try a new blade & see if that helps?

The movement is quite significant and the cleats definitely move a lot more on my road bike than on the tt. So it sounds like it’s the blade. Thanks for your story.