Tyre won't fit into rim

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited October 2019 in Workshop
So after 2 days of trying I've finally given up trying to fit this new Tyre to my new carbon rims. On the rear I fitted a old Tyre and that went on. But at the front I cant get this Michelin power competition to fit.

I got the Tyre to fit without an inner tube but with one it's a no go. I've compared the two tyres and this one seems more oval than the other. Using Tyre levers you get to a point where the other side just pops off the rim. Getting someone to hold the other side and the Tyre just looks like it won't strech enough.

I've put the Tyre in hot water and then tried even tried stretching the Tyre but nothing. I think there is a defect with the Tyre personally but any suggestions would be of help.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You should be able to fit most tyres with your hands, it is down to technique not strength. If you remember the middle of the rim is the smallest distance and run both your hands round the tyre a few times to push the slack round and push the tyre on more each time. There are very few tyres that won’t just pop on easily enough doing this.

The YouTube vid below shows it in more detail and you likely won’t need the ties / straps.

https://youtu.be/-XUFVrl0UT4/[url][/url]
  • Kajjal wrote:
    You should be able to fit most tyres with your hands, it is down to technique not strength. If you remember the middle of the rim is the smallest distance and run both your hands round the tyre a few times to push the slack round and push the tyre on more each time. There are very few tyres that won’t just pop on easily enough doing this.

The YouTube vid below shows it in more detail and you likely won’t need the ties / straps.

I gave up in the end and managed to fit an old GP4000. Looking at the tyre it’s defiantly not the same shape as the 4000 so I’ve returned it,
  • kajjal
    Louman999 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

I gave up in the end and managed to fit an old GP4000. Looking at the tyre it’s defiantly not the same shape as the 4000 so I’ve returned it,

If the tyre has a manufacturing defect you have no chance.
  • You can hold the tyre with one hand and use a lever with another. To many say oh this tyre is tight I give up rather than learn how to fit them properly. Co.paring a new tyre to a used stretched tyre is not fair.

Also if it's a tubes rim try using tubeless tape not rim strip.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

If the tyre has a manufacturing defect you have no chance.
    Turns out it wasn’t. A replacement tyre turned up its a bit better but still no chance of getting it on
  • You can hold the tyre with one hand and use a lever with another. To many say oh this tyre is tight I give up rather than learn how to fit them properly. Co.paring a new tyre to a used stretched tyre is not fair.

Also if it's a tubes rim try using tubeless tape not rim strip.
    Problem is when I try this you can tell the bead of the tyre won’t stretch enough. I tried and ended up snapping a tyre lever. I’ll upload a picture to show how much tyre still has to go on the rim.
  • https://pasteboard.co/IzPvMYP.jpgThis is how much Tyre is still to get on before it pops off the other side.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sorry to ask the obvious but are you sure you've bought the right size??
  • redvision wrote:
    Sorry to ask the obvious but are you sure you've bought the right size??
    Don’t be sorry it was the first thing I thought but it’s the right size 700x25C. I managed to fit it to an old Aksium rim with some difficultly but it will not fit on this carbon rim.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Might be the rim can't take 25mm tyres then.
  • redvision wrote:
    Might be the rim can't take 25mm tyres then.
    On the rear wheel I managed to fit a 25mm tyre.
  • simplez that innit.

get tyre lever.

insert it in from the top, vertical like.

hold other end of tyre. so it doesn't move.

push tyre lever vertically forward so it pushes the tyre on as it goes forward. its the horizontal lifting of the tyre that is causing it to pop one end or t'other out.

job jobbed - 30 seconds to get that on.

simplez, innit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I had similar trouble with a Reynolds Strike Rim and Schwalbe One tubeless. I ended up buying an ‘X-Tools tyre seating tool’ from Wiggle.
    What seemed impossible was solved in a flash with this gizmo.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    siddy1972 wrote:
    I had similar trouble with a Reynolds Strike Rim and Schwalbe One tubeless. I ended up buying an ‘X-Tools tyre seating tool’ from Wiggle.
    What seemed impossible was solved in a flash with this gizmo.

Had fun with those on mine, I'm a big fan of DH tyre levers, I have a pair of Ice Tools Downhill levers for the more stubborn tyres, which the One's proved to be. Last part made a satisfying ping as it went on.

Levers in question
    31R3IFzMBlL._SX355_.jpg
  • Thought I would just update this thread. Thanks for the solutions but as I thought none of them would work. The reason why is very strange but the front wheel is larger in diameter than the rear. Let this being a warning to anyone who is thinking about buying cheap carbon wheels off eBay. I’m now going through the return process which I’m imaging will be a bit of a hassle.
  • kajjal
    Louman999 wrote:
    Thought I would just update this thread. Thanks for the solutions but as I thought none of them would work. The reason why is very strange but the front wheel is larger in diameter than the rear. Let this being a warning to anyone who is thinking about buying cheap carbon wheels off eBay. I’m now going through the return process which I’m imaging will be a bit of a hassle.

Well spotted, that is frustrating.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:
    Thought I would just update this thread. Thanks for the solutions but as I thought none of them would work. The reason why is very strange but the front wheel is larger in diameter than the rear. Let this being a warning to anyone who is thinking about buying cheap carbon wheels off eBay. I’m now going through the return process which I’m imaging will be a bit of a hassle.

Just had another check and the wheel is out of true so it’s got a slight oval shape to it. Hopefully I can get it trued and the tyre will fit.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Louman999 wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:

Just had another check and the wheel is out of true so it’s got a slight oval shape to it. Hopefully I can get it trued and the tyre will fit.
    :lol::lol: :roll:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Louman999 wrote:
    That's not going to help, the circumference of the rim won't change at all.

In addition what force is required to get a deep carbon rim egg shaped (or round from egged)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    The Rookie wrote:
    Louman999 wrote:
    That's not going to help, the circumference of the rim won't change at all.

In addition what force is required to get a deep carbon rim egg shaped (or round from egged)?

Maybe he's got Oval wheels? :wink:

https://www.ovalconcepts.com/aero/wheels