Bought a GT Grade Claris - Not sure which year

jmods34
jmods34 Posts: 18
edited October 2019 in Road beginners
So I finally bought this bike! It looks good!

I have a problem, can't take the rear skewer off and therefore can't swap it out for the one that came with my secondhand kickr snap.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do?? I am thinking I am going to have to go to the nearest bike shop however, it's not close and therefore a hassle, can't ride there would have to taxi it.....

So if I can do it at home that would be ideal!

Comments

• How do you mean you can’t get the skewer off.

Pull lever open.
    Slide skewer out.
    Job jobbed.

Standard q/r skewers? Piccies of offending skewer?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • So you can't get the rear Quick Release skewer out? For what reason? Is it too tightly closed to be able to pull open? The more info we have the better advice we can give.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The pictures I’ve seen of them seem to show a standard quick release.

If you physically can’t get the lever open, carefully use a lever as an extension, something like a length of metal pipe that will fit over the quick release laver arm. Depending on which position it has been closed in, you may be able to use an adjustable spanner or a pair of mole grips - put them on the end of the lever in line with it and use their extra length to act as a longer lever. Be careful and if using mole grips put something like a piece of old inner tube over the lever to protect it from damage by the teeth of the grips.

PP

Oh and when you do it back up, perhaps don’t do it too tight... :wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You definitely know how to use a QR skewer? I'm only asking because I've seen people doing it wrong.
  • jmods34
    jmods34 Posts: 18
    keef66 wrote:
    You definitely know how to use a QR skewer? I'm only asking because I've seen people doing it wrong.

I don't know.....The bike shop set the bike up and I brought it home. Never touched it until I tried to take it off so I could put the trainer skewer on.

I can't pull it open.........

HELP!!!!!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Did you read my reply?

PP