Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Rack bag to fit laptop

mr.b-campagmr.b-campag Posts: 307
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking about fitting a rack for this winter's commute, and wondered are there any rack bags out there that I could squeeze a laptop into, rather than having to run one pannier bag? I'd just prefer the handling that way I think, and I only need to carry the laptop for two journeys a week (along with a shirt, underwear and some lunch).

Thanks in advance

B

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,441
    I currently use a carradice seat post bag that I can fit my workwear, food and small laptop in. Fits onto a quick release clamp mounted on seat tube, no good for carbon posts though. 100% waterproof unlike my so called waterproof jackets and comes in various sizes. Downside is you tend to load the bike up to much and it slows you down because of this, can be felt in high crosswinds. Upside is easily removed and quality made, various sizes etc. See link. Check suitability on size against your laptop.
    https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle ... g-seatpack
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Thanks Oxoman,

Looks like Topeak used to make something along the lines I'm after - the MTX Office Bag - but I can't find anywhere that stocks it...
  • From the same company I have been using the SQR Slim https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddle ... c-sqr-slim for commuting over the past 5 years or so. Can easily carry a laptop (although that might depend on the size you have, of course) and still have plenty of room for lunch, a book, a shirt and other essentials up to 16 litres. Only a small bracket remains on the bike when it's not being used and it doesn't seem to catch the wind like panniers would - and, as an added bonus, it has a reinforced plastic section on the bottom that acts as a rear mud guard. Good small UK company too!
  • Thanks Anthony that looks like it should work.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,441
    The super C is the one I use for work, can't fault it. Waterproof and well made.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Thanks again. I've bought one from SJS cycles who have it on offer atm. I've not fitted it yet, but it certainly looks like a nice bit of kit.