Shimano 105 10 speed new chain question

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited September 2019 in Workshop
It's time to replace the chain on my Shimano 105 compact equipped bike. Took a quick look at Wiggle and Evans and found lots of Shimano Tiagra 10 speed chains for about £ 12, but couldn't see any 105 specific chains and wont be shelling out for the Ultegra. Is it okay to buy the tiagra chain and use that with my 105 set up.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Yes, you can use any 10 speed chain

When I had ran shimano 10 speed i always used the sram 1051 chain.
  • kmc £15 job is perfect for your needs otherwise Tiagra will be perfect.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use SRAM PC1051 on all my Shimano 10-speed drivetrains (4 of them, MTB, gravel and road).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    kmc £15 job is perfect for your needs otherwise Tiagra will be perfect.

KMC with split link infinitely preferable over a Shimano chain with pins.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    kmc £15 job is perfect for your needs otherwise Tiagra will be perfect.

KMC with split link infinitely preferable over a Shimano chain with pins.

agree completely 100% but the OP seems to want a Shimano one judging by his post.

KMC are a better chain with the far far better quik-link.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks for the replies. I was going for a Shimano chain simply because I have a Shimano groupset. I would be interested to know why KMC chains are better.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Shimano tiagra are £13 at Halfords and are fine. The pin fit is slightly more tricky but I don't have a problem and am pretty hamfisted. You will have the tool anyway to shorten the new chain to the right length.

Kmc come with a quick link which most people here prefer. I don't think repeatedly splitting and rejoining is a great idea and I never have the need, so I don't see a great advantage.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Shimano tiagra are £13 at Halfords and are fine. The pin fit is slightly more tricky but I don't have a problem and am pretty hamfisted. You will have the tool anyway to shorten the new chain to the right length.

Kmc come with a quick link which most people here prefer. I don't think repeatedly splitting and rejoining is a great idea and I never have the need, so I don't see a great advantage.

Got to agree with this too, i use shimano chains, the xtr/ duraace one and i buy them when i see them on special. Recently they’ve come with a quick link but ive got lots of pins and i prefer them for no particular reason other than its the way i do it. I suppose its a bit like tying a tie or having one on elastic.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    1964johnr wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I was going for a Shimano chain simply because I have a Shimano groupset. I would be interested to know why KMC chains are better.

I've used SRAM and Shimano chains as well as my go to KMC chains. SRAM also use a split link and recommend that you don't reuse it. I've never heard of a failure of one being reused, so obviously just SRAM's legal disclaimer. KMC have no such issue with users re-using the provided split link.

Shimano chains on the other hand require a pin and took to be carried on rides for just in case. Fiddly and time consuming and up the creek without a paddle if you drop the pin and can't find it. KMC chains, with their split link, are less time consuming to install. Drop the split link and its easier to spot against dark grey tarmac on a cold, wet and windy day, for that's when it's bound to happen.

As an aside, I believe there's a thread somewhere on here with a claim that KMC make Shimano chains. Don't believe the hype that you must use a Shimano chain with Shimano group sets.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    With any of the chains you can use a quicklink - either Srams or KMC. I always have a spare in my saddlebag because if a chain breaks on a ride, it's quick just to knock out the broken links and wack a quicklink in there. It makes no difference what you've used to connect it together with in the first place.

I tend to use quicklinks to join my chain together in the first place, because it makes it easy to remove and clean - but tbh, it's only because the chains I buy come with the quicklink. It's no great biggy to use a pin instead - it's just the convenience of the quicklink I prefer. So join as you like - but I'd always have a quicklink in the saddlebag ...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I suppose its a bit like tying a tie or having one on elastic.

Seriously? elastic! Even my employer has upgraded to the much more snobbish clip on tie as part of our uniform. I sneer at people wearing elasticated ties... :lol:

PP
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    I'm happy with either, I just buy whatever's best value at the time.

I've also used KMC and SRAM quick links on Shimano chains without problems. For emergency on the road use you will still need a chain tool, because if the chain breaks it is very likely to have a knackered link that will need to be removed.
    Only time I have broken a chain on the road I didn't have my usual multi-tool with me and couldn't use my link.

And apparently not everyone finds the quick links easy, as evidenced by this classic BR thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13083543
    (Although the OP in that thread is either a wind-up merchant or even more mechanically inept than I am)