Is November too late for Mallorca?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited October 2019 in Tour & expedition
I've approached some tour operators and they don't seem to do Mallorca in November. Has anyone cycled there in November, what was the weather like? I'm thinking of doing it alone or maybe go to the hotel that works with Canyon.

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Not November but have cycled there over New Year and it was OK. More like coastal UK in spring, i.e. a bit of everything.

Here is some climate data for Palma airport for November:
    Average mid-day temp 19.0C
    6 days with rain greater than 1mm
    5.4 hours per day of sunshine
    55mm rain for the month

Clearly they are averages and expect it to be colder and wetter in the mountains. Cafes, bars, restaurants and most hotels (the smaller ones anyway) will be open
  • I went there last year in the first week of November, it's right at the end of the season.
    It was pretty warm and the conditions were brilliant for cycling. Low 20's at sea level, a fair bit cooler on top of the mountains.
    Only issue is that as it's the end of the season a lot of hotels, cafes, bars and bike hire places had already closed for the winter but there's enough about still open. Obviously less of an issue if you bring your own bike.
    Positives are that the roads were a hell of a lot less busy than when I went back in April.
  • Went there the last week of November a couple of years back, four days in Palma, plenty going on there as you would expect, then two days in Port de Pollensa, it was pretty much closed but there were a couple of cafes and shops open so no major issue . . . the weather can be changeable though, I cancelled one days ride because of thunderstorms all day.
    Got a place in the Pyrenees.
    Do bike and ski stuff.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I've done it in November and if it isn't raining it's warm enough for UK summer kit. I didn't notice any bike shops closed but the usual touristy bars etc are closed and some places are like ghost towns. Inland the cyclist cafes were open as there were quite a few riders out. Palma always busy and there is a lively night life there as the locals plus the yacht crowd keep things going. Thinking of going again this year as I haven't been there since May and we've had a bad UK cycling summer. One thing is that it does get dark fairly early and the sun can be very low and dazzling late afternoon. More so, it seems than here.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    bigjim wrote:
    One thing is that it does get dark fairly early and the sun can be very low and dazzling late afternoon. More so, it seems than here.

Also, I was quite surprised to find it doesn't get light until about 8am. I'm in Mallorca at the moment (first week in October) and set my alarm for 7am on my first morning, all set for an early couple of hours and back for breakfast, only to find it was still pitch dark. Eventually left about 7.45 with lights on for the first half hour. Glorious once the sun came up 8) but a bit of a surprise nonetheless.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    That will improve when the clocks change.
    On the other hand, it will get dark earlier.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.