Do I need a new helmet?

rsmart84
rsmart84 Posts: 19
edited September 2019 in MTB general
I come off my bike hard the other day. My body did take most of the impact on the one side resulting it cuts and bruising.
My head did hit the floor, but did not take major impact. Do need to replace my helmet, it has been dented but there is no foam inside split.
Thanks

Picture in link:
https://ibb.co/LvHr6Cc

Comments

• How much is your head worth? how much is a helmet!
  • It seems a shame to bin a nice looking helmet when it only has a little dent. Especially so when you have carefully inspected the inside (flexing the helmet as you do it) to see no cracks in the polystyrene liner.

You could always keep an eye on it and just risk it. :?

But who wants to be a little bit brain damaged? :shock:

I suppose that you could keep it as a spare for when the next one gets totally written off and you have a ride tomorrow and this helmet will be better than none at all.
  • Thanks for the advice. Im going to get a new one under the Bell crash replacement, so will be discounted. Suppose it's not worth the risk, money can be earnt but we only have one head :D
  • OMFG.

Just replace it. You won't see microscopic cracks in the liner etc but they will be there. Every impact reduces the structural integrity of the helmet and it's just not worth it.

I know it's a shame etc but it needs to be done.

It's done it's job, so celebrate by getting a new one. :D
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • BillyCool wrote:

...do you mean get a new helmet or get a new head?
  • Lagrange wrote:
    BillyCool wrote:

...do you mean get a new helmet or get a new head?

Good question.

If you need a new head then the helmet hasn't done it's job!
    "Ride, crash, replace"