Will Halfords /Comma LHM Mineral oil cause any problems ?

johnp801
johnp801 Posts: 52
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Will Halfords /Comma LHM Mineral oil cause any problems if used in Mineral oil compatible brake systems such as Shimano, etc?
I have plenty of that and don't want to splash out on the Shimano stuff if its unnecessary

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    JohnP801 wrote:
    Will Halfords /Comma LHM Mineral oil cause any problems if used in Mineral oil compatible brake systems such as Shimano, etc?
    I have plenty of that and don't want to splash out on the Shimano stuff if its unnecessary

Can’t see why it wouldn’t be OK.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    When I looked into bleeding my Shimano 8020 hydraulic disc brakes, the manual /8nstructions stated only to use their stuff, however, didn't give reason why.
    8 think it's to do with elestisity /thickness 9f the oil but I'm not sure on this or what would happen.
    I didn't think about it beforehand either that obviouslydifferent oils have different boiling/freezing points too.
    I think I also read somewhere someone used normal cooking oil. Again not sure how it worked out and whether gave spongey feeling
  • JohnP801 wrote:

no
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    No problem, it’s fine.
    Shimano recommend their oil because it helps their profits.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As long as there are no additives in the oil that could destroy the seals it should work.
    One of the YouTube MTB riders, Seth's Bike Hacks, is experimenting with using baby oil in Shimano brakes. He hasn't reported any problems yet.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • I was leaning towards being convinced but seeing as EBS sell the very same stuff as being suitable, has sealed it for me.
    https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/prod ... neral-oil/
    I'll probably push all the original red stuff out just to be safe and to avoid mixing.
    Thanks for everyone's input