front derailleur cable clamp.

spence_r
spence_r Posts: 8
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Hi all,
I could do with a little help if possible? Its been a long time since I worked on bikes & they have changed quite a lot.

I recently loosened the cable on my front derailleur & the cable sprung out before I could check to see how it was fixed. :?
Sooo is it a case of just clamping the cable using the bolt & washer to the front derailleur as in the attached images? or is there a certain knack to it?
Also would I need to buy a standard cable or is it bike-specific?

Many thanks for any help offered....

Regards Spence
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zV9FKzRaZqDxihED8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oMMVQqMZdo1v7VfL7

Comments

• pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    The cable sits in that groove and the bolt/ washer clamps down against it to hold it tight. As for the cable routing before being placed under the clamp in the groove, can’t tell from those pictures but one would assume it comes up from the bottom bracket area and sits directly in the groove. If it is a Shimano derailleur you can search online for the Dealer Manual for the specific derailleur which has words and pictures for how to set it up correctly.

Top tip is to pull the cable taught before clamping it to take up any slack and also to back off any inline adjuster in the cable run which is subsequently used to fine tune the tension.

Regarding cable, just comes down to the correct nipple shape for the shifter design. Take the old cable to the bike shop if in any doubt and ask for the same. They are cheap, so get a spare to have in the garage at home...

PP
  • Many thanks for the guidance Pete,
    I had not even seen the groove, will give it a go the weekend once I have purchased the cable.
    Once again, many thanks.

Spence
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    No probs. On a closer look, it appears that the cable should come up from below the bottom bracket, around the back of that notch and across the groove to then be clamped. If you’ve not done it before, be sure to shift the front shifter into the ‘small ring’ position - pull on the cable by hand as you shift with the inner, smaller lever to the position with the maximum amount of cable free, I.e. cable pulled fully out of the shifter. This will put it in the correct position to remove/ refit your new inner cable, and also ensures you are then taking up the slack correctly by pulling the cable end after you have fitted the new cable around the derailleur notch/ groove before clamping it.

PP