E-bike hire?

Chaz.Harding
Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
BLUF: I need to rent an e-bike for my missus. Where from, and how much can I expect to pay?

Next summer, I'm planning a trip to Europe with the aim to ride some of the classic big climbs, and do a bit of cycling in the Alps.

Issue: while my missus is a very very accomplished runner (she can absolutely destroy me on a run of any distance, on any terrain), she's a shit cyclist.

Even on my fat bike weighing 3 x her road bike, I can cycle away from her as soon as the road pitches up. And I'm - at best - an average cyclist. This is obviously an issue when the plan is for 7-10 days in the Alps to ride some climbs... We'll no doubt do plenty of walking and running too, though.

So; after a quick search, the only places I seem to find are outfits that charge a lot for a few days, with no option to extend over a 5 day period. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Boo-yah mofo
Sick to the power of rad
Fix it 'till it's broke

Comments

• Hi.
    We often go to the Oisans area where Alpe d’ Huez, Galibier, Croix de Fer, Glandon etc etc are.
    This website
    https://uk.bike-oisans.com/electric-bik ... an-e-bike/
    maybe useful to you.
    The shops in Bourg d’ Oisans are a good starting point I would think.
    We haven’t personally hired bikes or ebikes out there though.
    Love this whole area!
    This links gives a fabulous itinerary of different cycling routes in this area including the classics of course, but loads more too.
    https://uk.bike-oisans.com/cycling/road-cycle-routes/

We stay in Vaujanay which is very pretty, but does mean a climb at the end of the day, or you can leave the car at the bottom! Bourg d’Oisans would make a good base too as in the valley, although not as quiet.

Hope this helps and gives you one or two ideas BW
  • Pretty much every town in the Alps has e-bike hire now, and I suspect it's the same anywhere there are big climbs in France. There are either dedicated e-bike places, or bike shops that do MTB, road or e-bikes. You'll be tripping over them. I had an issue on one trip last year where I needed to hire a back up bike for a week after my first day there and it was sorted in no time. So I don't think you'll have an issue.
  • No disrespect Molteni Man but why do people think that when someone wants to go to the Alps they want to go to the Oisans region? There are far more rewarding areas in the Alps, both North and South. The Savoie and Haute Savoie regions are way more satisfying and give a much better option of loops and 'epic' climbs. It's also a lot prettier up by Lake Annecy which will appease a non cycling other half :-)