Stand over height and Breeze-in vs Thru axle..

Chirsbom
Chirsbom Posts: 17
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi!

I have narrowed my search for a daily commuter / gravel / bikepacking ride to either a 2019 Breezer Radar Pro (on 25% discount no less) or a 2020 Kona Sutra LTD.

The main difference between the bikes in components are the Breezers Breeze-in dropout vs the Konas thru axle.

Now, I get that the QR as tech is more or less on its way out and that there are clear advantages to the thru axle, maybe especially if loaded up with front panniers on a rough road. But how significant is this advantage? And does Joe Breezers claim of "double the stiffness, half the weight" hold up with regards to Breeze-ins over standard QR?

There is a 1K price difference as well to consider. Not the most important factor as I want to get a bike for year to come, but still.

I have not had the chance to try the Kona, only the Breezer. Kona is lacking in representation in my country, and I have to get it of the net. Looking at sites like 99 Spokes, Geometrygeeks and Bike insight I am trying to difuse the differences between the frames.

One thing that has stood out is the stand over height. I am 189cm (6"2) with an 82cm (32inch) inseam. Yeah, almost not within some charts for a "normal" fit. Short legs and long torso. Meaning for the Kona size 56cm that their site recommend I would rub on the top tube. Is there any work around this other than to order, try and if wrong send back?

I have tried the Breezer in size 57cm and that has a stand over that is 2,3 cm lower than the Kona.

Any and all advice will be most welcome!

Comments

• Regarding QR vs thru axle, I've had a couple of examples of each over the last few years including one of each now.

Basically I've found that quick releases while fine most of the time...are more prone to rubbing/creaking/making some sort of noise every now and then.

You'll hit a pothole or bump and for the next few seconds/minutes you'll hear a noise (ringing or a scrape) then you'll hit another bump and it'll stop. Sometimes harsh braking will do this too.

If it don't 'auto correct' then often you can fix it by loosening or tightening the qr skewer. If all else fails you can reset the pistons when you get back home.

That's the main difference for me, most of the time qr is ok but if like me you don't like bike noise then it can irritate now and then, especially on the bumpy roads I use (it's a mooter)

Thru axles suffer far less from this.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Strange as I don't experience any creaks with QR if I hit an unseen bump?

Do people still measure bike sizing by stand over height? Stack and Reach.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Do people still measure bike sizing by stand over height? Stack and Reach.

I have compared stack and reach to two bikes I have tried and fit on. I plotted these bikes into 99Spokes, Bike Insight as well as Geometrygeeks and then noticed the tall top tube on the bike I most wanted and that has all the specs (even a great look..), but that I had not tried and would have to order online.

The thing is, the stand over height of that bike is taller than my croch. And given that I want to use the bike for loaded bike touring, being able to balance the bike on its center aka straight up is kind of important.
  • Basically I've found that quick releases while fine most of the time...are more prone to rubbing/creaking/making some sort of noise every now and then.

Thank you for your reply!

Given that I wont be able to demo the Kona with Thru Axles, that I most want, but can get the Breezer with QR from my local bikeshop for 1K less, I will shortly be suffering some creaking ;)

Looking forward to exploring further into the forests around my town than I did on my XC, and planing for that ride around in Ireland with panniers I have been wanting to do for a while!
  • Chirsbom wrote:
    Basically I've found that quick releases while fine most of the time...are more prone to rubbing/creaking/making some sort of noise every now and then.

Thank you for your reply!

Given that I wont be able to demo the Kona with Thru Axles, that I most want, but can get the Breezer with QR from my local bikeshop for 1K less, I will shortly be suffering some creaking ;)

Looking forward to exploring further into the forests around my town than I did on my XC, and planing for that ride around in Ireland with panniers I have been wanting to do for a while!

Enjoy your new bike! 1k is a great saving and you honestly may not get the minor problems I had anyway