Norco Charger 2 2018 - How much / Will it sell?

Clarkie.Dj
Clarkie.Dj Posts: 16
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have replaced my old Norco charger 2 (2018)
https://www.evanscycles.com/norco-charg ... e-EV306502

...with a Trek Roscoe 7.
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-roscoe ... e-EV340606

The Back wheel of the Norco was stolen, the bike itself is less than 9months old and doesn't have a scratch on it. I have had the bike checked over and everything is fine, as was just a quick release wheel.

Now I have the Trek, I am looking to sell my Norco Frame and components, and I have a couple of questions in my head before I do. Any help would be great...

1) Is it better to try and sell the Norco as a whole and specify it's just a rear wheel and cassette that needs replacing?
2) What Parts would you strip off the Norco and put on the Roscoe to make it better? (Maybe brakes / forks / Bars)?
3) What sort of price could I ask for for A) The Bike as a whole B) Components (Imagine only the Frame and Forks are most likely to be sellable)

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Beg, steal or buy a replacement back wheel, tyre and cassette. You will do far better selling a complete bike. Try your best to fit something of equivalent quality.

Warning! Selling your beloved bike is a heart breaking business. They NEVER sell for what you expect to get, despite a new wheel, tyre and cassette! :(

Just look to see what brand new 2019 bikes are selling for right now. And yours is already second hand and last year's model, so it will get even less.

As for a selling price, see para 3 above, then knock another 30% off. I believe that will be the best you can expect. This may mean that after buying a new wheel, cassette and tyre that you make no money. See para 2 above. :(
  • Beg, steal or buy a replacement back wheel, tyre and cassette. You will do far better selling a complete bike. Try your best to fit something of equivalent quality.

Warning! Selling your beloved bike is a heart breaking business. They NEVER sell for what you expect to get, despite a new wheel, tyre and cassette! :(

Just look to see what brand new 2019 bikes are selling for right now. And yours is already second hand and last year's model, so it will get even less.

As for a selling price, see para 3 above, then knock another 30% off. I believe that will be the best you can expect. This may mean that after buying a new wheel, cassette and tyre that you make no money. See para 2 above. :(

I thought that might be the case. I'm coming round to the idea of just gifting it to a mate who is prepared to get a tyre, wheel and cassette for it, so might do that if it's likely to be small change anyway...keep it in the family and all that!

I'm thinking of swapping some things over. Would you change either the brakes or the forks on the roscoe with what's on the Norco?

Norco:
    Brakes - Shimano M365 Hydraulic 160mm
    Forks - Rock Shox 30 Silver Solo Air TK 100mm
    Bars - X6 Alloy 750mm x 31.8

Roscoe:
    Brakes - Tektro HD-M275 hydraulic disc
    Forks - RockShox Judy Silver TK, coil spring, preload, rebound adjust, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, Boost110, 120mm travel
    Bars - Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 750mm width

Thanks
  • I don't know enough about Tetro brakes to be able to say with any authority, but in my opinion Shimano have a better name for quality and stopping power than Tektro. But I may just be a victim of marketing! Best wait for someone who actually knows for sure. Or ask a separate question on the Forum. Just ask which is better.

The fork on the Norco is an air spring and that offers superior tuning capability than the coil spring on the Roscoe. But the fork on the Roscoe is a 120mm travel vs the 100mm on the Norco, that is a big benefit to give up, and it will alter the geometry of the bike for the worse. In addition you don't say anything about the fork steerer on the Norco, so it may be incompatible. I'd leave them where they are.

You don't say what the rise is on the Norco bars, so unless you prefer the Norco bars to the feel of the Roscoe bars I'd leave them where they are as well.