Campagnolo Shamal

oxoneil
oxoneil Posts: 147
edited October 2019 in Workshop
I have a 1st gen front and 2nd gen rear Shamal, the old silver rimmed ones, which are still in excellent condition. I have a bike with Record 10 speed levers and would like to be able to use the rear wheel on this bike.

So, can I swap the 8 speed freehub for a 10 speed, or, if not, can I buy a new 10 speed hub and get it built into the rim? The rim has 16 holes.

Thanks

Comments

• You would do well to PM Malcolm at the cycling clinic on here. It might be possible to get a 32H hub and lace alternative holes but that might stress the flanges too much.
  • There no new freehubs any more. There was a 9 speed era veloce freehub I used put of these but i sold the last one a few years back.

Shamal spokes are thick and chunky. They would not fit through the hole in non slotted hubs. I dont think there is a 32h hub with slotted holes.

An expensive Royce hub could be done in that configuration but that's probably more than your willing to spend.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    There no new freehubs any more. There was a 9 speed era veloce freehub I used put of these but i sold the last one a few years back.

Shamal spokes are thick and chunky. They would not fit through the hole in non slotted hubs. I dont think there is a 32h hub with slotted holes.

An expensive Royce hub could be done in that configuration but that's probably more than your willing to spend.

Hi, apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the advice, I sourced a 32 hole 9 speed hub and found a video on You Tube describing and demonstrating the alternate hole pattern you describe. Ironically at the end of the video they revealed that it was a Shamal they did it on.