Weird tubeless problem

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited September 2019 in Cyclocross
Have come across a weird tubeless issue; wondering whether anyone's seem anything similar?

I have an individual tyre (Schwalbe X-One Bite) which won't set up properly on my new hookless (Light Bicycle) rims. It seals without any issue, but when I inflate it a short section of bead sticks in the centre of the rim rather than being pushed out to the side. If I keep inflating, the opposite bead blows out at ~50psi. It's specific to this individual tyre; it behaves the same way on multiple rims, and it's always the same point on the bead that refuses to seat properly. Other tyres of the identical model seat quite happily. I can't see any obvious issues with the bead itself at that point, and it inflates/seats quite happily with an inner tube on a (hooked) road rim. I've tried lubricating with washing up liquid, but to no avail.

The tyre's had a bit of use on a different rim last season, and was fine there. They're quite pricey, so I'd prefer not to chuck it if the issue is fixable.

Any ideas?
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    50psi doesn't sound much, but im used to road pressures.
    What's the max pressure for rim/ tyre?
  • tgotb
    I'm not that surprised to blow the tyre off at 50psi, especially if it's "wonky"; the typical operating range is more like 18-28psi. I only went that high to try to encourage the tyre to seat properly. The documentation for the rim states a maximum pressure, and while I can't remember what that is, I can remember that it's pretty low.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Are you able to push that section up onto the shoulder of the rim with the other side of the tyre off? Presumably you've already tried rotating the tyre to see if it's the section of tyre that's refusing to seat or a specific point on the rim?
  • tgotb
    whyamihere wrote:
    Are you able to push that section up onto the shoulder of the rim with the other side of the tyre off? Presumably you've already tried rotating the tyre to see if it's the section of tyre that's refusing to seat or a specific point on the rim?
    Hmmm, haven't tried that, will give it a go.

Yes - it's that specific part of the tyre; it does the same thing at different points of rotation (relative to the rim) and on two different (same model) rims. Must be something about that bit of the tyre, but blowed if I can see anything; no visible damage, kinks etc.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I had a problem with *some* X-One/Bites seating on lightcycle rims last season. My problem was a small portion of the tyre bead would stay in the well and no matter what I tried it wouldn't pop to the rim and seal. The same wheels with a different X-One or Bite would work fine, and pop on first time, every time. But one tyre wouldn't sit no matter what.

Like you, I couldn't see anything obvious.

I ended up doing lots of pushing the tyre down and around the rim well, and using some tyre levers to try and pull the bead to the edge. Then using a Giant compression tank to force it. One thing I did need to do with the compression tank was pump the air to 150psi+. If I had it at 130psi it didn't quite have enough force.

There seems no patter or rhyme and reason to why these work or don't! When they do, they are bloody good though :)
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com