Canyon Roadlite

CrouchingWayne
CrouchingWayne Posts: 43
edited September 2019 in Commuting general
Hi all

Has anyone here used a Canyon Roadlite to commute? I’m tempted to pick one up in the sale, but am concerned about the lack of mudguard holes as well as moving to a flat bar.

I’m forever on the hoods at the moment (never in the drops) but would a hybrid be too upright?

Spec looks good for the money and hydraulic disk brakes are a must for any purchase.

Thanks

Comments

• ham76
    ham76 Posts: 26
    I use my Roadlite to commute and it serves me very well.
    My usual commute route consists of 50% cycle path and 50% on the road.

Expensive models do NOT have the eylets.
    But, Both Roadlite 7.0 and Roadlite 6.0 do have the eyelets for the mudguards/panniers.
    You can check it if you look in the Canyon’s website pictures closely.

I fitted Topeak Super Tourist Rear Rack. (You can fit a non-disc specific rack for this bike.) and SKS Velo 42 Urban Clip-On Mudguard with U-stays.
  • Thanks for your help. I ordered one last week so am expecting it in the next couple of days. Quite looking forward to it as I’m sure you can imagine!

Probably not the most sensible purchase for my uses ever, but the ‘want’ factor kicked in combined with the sale making the spec really competitive.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I like the look of these but they look quite an aggressive geometry in the pictures. Can anyone comment on what they're like to ride?
  • dugliss wrote:
    I like the look of these but they look quite an aggressive geometry in the pictures. Can anyone comment on what they're like to ride?

I set mine up last week and took it for a 10-12mile spin yesterday. Initial thoughts are it’s very relaxed and comfortable. Steering is a touch slow and handlebars are probably a bit wider than perfect for me right now. I actually found myself laughing as the carbon/650b/27.5mm combo all seems to be absorbing bumps that would normally have me cringing. Reminded me of being a kid on a mountain bike! My one is a relatively niche spec (carbon, 105, flat bar) so time will tell if it’s practical or not. As a cruiser it’s awesome fun.

That said it depends on context - I’ve been daily driving my aluminium road bike which is a fairly stretched and narrow position with quite sharp steering at low speeds, 23mm slicks, drops a bit too low, etc.

I’m sure there will be pros and cons but for now I really like it. Definitely a little slower in absolute pace so maybe not one for Strava junkies, but to be expected as the trade off for the above comfort.