Shimano/SRAM Compatibility?

barefootitalian
barefootitalian Posts: 9
edited September 2019 in Cyclocross
Hello all.
So, on my Canyon Grail Carbon gravel (the one with the "distinctive" double handlebar) I'd like to replace the 11-34 11speed cassette with a larger one, even if only the 11-36 (better 11-40).
Bike comes with an Ultegra RX 50-34 chainring and medium cassette.

At Chainreaction they suggest: SRAM PG1130 + the KMC X11 11 Speed Chain + the Wolftooth RoadLink.
They say, though, that it's not ideal to mix and match Shimano and SRAM parts at the higher 11 speed range (I thought they were fully compatible)...

Do you guys think it's feasible nevertheless?

Thanks!!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    It will work fine. The spacing is identical. The one bit I would question is the Roadlink - Many people are able to run an 11-36 cassette with the new geometry Ultegra/105 kit without one with just some B screw tweaking. Try it without first, because the Roadlink really does compromise shifting on the smaller cogs.
  • have run sram with shimano and vice versa for years and never had a problem.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks to all for the replies! That's good news. Any advise on a good 11-36 cassette or should I just go for the "standard" Shimano one?
  • Shimano is not always suitable. It is better to buy a part that is original if you have SRAM and continue Weight Loss
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    "They say, though, that it's not ideal to mix and match Shimano and SRAM parts at the higher 11 speed range"

They're talking rubbish. I've happily used Ultegra parts on a Red Groupset before.