World Champs build up

1246

Posts

  • m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 1,567
    Congrats OCDuPalais!
    PTP Champion 2019
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,597
    RichN95 wrote:
    ocdupalais wrote:
    I got us a prime spot at my mate’s place in Skipton when I heard the WC RR route back whenever it was announced. I was so proud of myself. I was also proud when my wife announced she was up duff - but less proud when the due date for both were the same.
    That's a shame, but I'm sure your wife could ask one of the nurses to Skype the birth for you.
    Exactly. Blokes just tend to stand about and get in the way, anyway. But, in a rare piece of cunning on my part (also how we got pregnant), we’ve planned for a home birth this time: all being well it could be a Eurosport, whale sounds and hypno-birthing sound clash at our place. If there’s one thing guaranteed to get the missus firing that baby out, it’s Carlton Kirby wanging on.
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,597
    Thanks all for your congrats. And, yes - the sex and name of the nipper is tbc. If it comes before the Men and Women’s: it’s going to be Fausto or Beryl. If it comes after, it’s the name of the World Champ. Possibly.
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,597
    G pulls out of TT.
  • ocdupalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ocdupalais wrote:
    I got us a prime spot at my mate’s place in Skipton when I heard the WC RR route back whenever it was announced. I was so proud of myself. I was also proud when my wife announced she was up duff - but less proud when the due date for both were the same.
    That's a shame, but I'm sure your wife could ask one of the nurses to Skype the birth for you.
    Exactly. Blokes just tend to stand about and get in the way, anyway. But, in a rare piece of cunning on my part (also how we got pregnant), we’ve planned for a home birth this time: all being well it could be a Eurosport, whale sounds and hypno-birthing sound clash at our place. If there’s one thing guaranteed to get the missus firing that baby out, it’s Carlton Kirby wanging on.


    In which case, video evidence or it didn’t happen
  • ridgeriderridgerider Posts: 2,748
    Remco would be a great name...
    Half man, Half bike...and now more familiar with the work of Prostate Cancer UK
  • ridgeriderridgerider Posts: 2,748
    Remco Circus even, if you are that way inclined (or a celeb).
    Half man, Half bike...and now more familiar with the work of Prostate Cancer UK
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 43,847 Lives Here
    VdP doing 100km extra training after the road ra e he did today (180km).

    Baller.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,085
    He's not exactly hiding his form, is he?

    https://twitter.com/GosuSM/status/1175435267542540289
  • But GVA followed that pretty well. That impressed me. Surely he’s good value at ~25/1?

    Sagan too of course while looking easy.
  • G Thomas sacks off the TT
  • ocdupalaisocdupalais Posts: 3,597
    Lutsenko looking brutal strong for next week.
  • ocdupalais wrote:
    Lutsenko looking brutal strong for next week.

    Extended race highlights.

    https://www.pmgsport.it/video/diretta-s ... tani-2019/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 43,847 Lives Here
    andyp wrote:
    He's not exactly hiding his form, is he?

    https://twitter.com/GosuSM/status/1175435267542540289


    Woof.

    Not his style, eh?
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 7,721
    VdP doing 100km extra training after the road ra e he did today (180km).

    Baller.
    Shouldn't he be starting a taper...
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,073
    Can't help feeling he's going to end up like Sagan was for a few years where he made himself such a favourite for races no-one would work with him.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 43,847 Lives Here
    Pross wrote:
    Can't help feeling he's going to end up like Sagan was for a few years where he made himself such a favourite for races no-one would work with him.

    Doesn't need it with the strength of the Dutch team atm. (appreciate that is only a couple races a yer max).
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,073
    Pross wrote:
    Can't help feeling he's going to end up like Sagan was for a few years where he made himself such a favourite for races no-one would work with him.

    Doesn't need it with the strength of the Dutch team atm. (appreciate that is only a couple races a yer max).

    Yep, fair point. I can see someone like Teunissen benefiting from everyone marking him out of the race though.
  • DeadCalmDeadCalm Posts: 3,009
    Pross wrote:
    Can't help feeling he's going to end up like Sagan was for a few years where he made himself such a favourite for races no-one would work with him.

    Doesn't need it with the strength of the Dutch team atm. (appreciate that is only a couple races a yer max).
    I'm guessing that the Belgian team will be testing that Dutch strength from quite a way out.

    .. DECLERCQ Tim
    .. EVENEPOEL Remco
    .. GILBERT Philippe
    .. LAMPAERT Yves
    .. NAESEN Oliver
    .. TEUNS Dylan
    .. VAN AVERMAET Greg
    .. WELLENS Tim

    That's a team that has the potential to put the Dutch under a lot of pressure.
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,085
    The Belgians have the classic Worlds conundrum though - who amongst all those potential leaders do they back and will the others accept that?
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 43,847 Lives Here
    andyp wrote:
    The Belgians have the classic Worlds conundrum though - who amongst all those potential leaders do they back and will the others accept that?

    Fair.

    (Gilbert surely)
  • andyp wrote:
    The Belgians have the classic Worlds conundrum though - who amongst all those potential leaders do they back and will the others accept that?

    They are not Italian team from the 80/90s. If Naesen/GvA could do it Gilbert would make it happen ( and be happy about it!)
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 43,847 Lives Here
    andyp wrote:
    The Belgians have the classic Worlds conundrum though - who amongst all those potential leaders do they back and will the others accept that?

    They are not Italian team from the 80/90s. If Naesen/GvA could do it Gilbert would make it happen ( and be happy about it!)

    Even GvA?.....
  • bobmcstuffbobmcstuff Posts: 7,721
    andyp wrote:
    The Belgians have the classic Worlds conundrum though - who amongst all those potential leaders do they back and will the others accept that?
    Isn't this basically the same as QuickStep all year? Doesn't seem to have hurt them.
  • m.r.m.m.r.m. Posts: 1,567
    Gilbert and Evenepoel have the best form (in the team). Think they can do an excellent 1,2,3 with GVA. They are the team to beat. QS way of racing will work well for them mindset wise.
    PTP Champion 2019
  • DeadCalmDeadCalm Posts: 3,009
    m.r.m. wrote:
    Gilbert and Evenepoel have the best form (in the team). Think they can do an excellent 1,2,3 with GVA. They are the team to beat. QS way of racing will work well for them mindset wise.
    Exactly this. It should make for a really exciting race.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,073
    Dutch and Belgians to spend the race watching and marking each other resulting in an Italian or Aussie winning is my bet.
  • Weather looks like it will be factor. Can't see the southern European s loving it. It could be torrential . Going to be a slog!
  • DeadCalmDeadCalm Posts: 3,009
    Pross wrote:
    Dutch and Belgians to spend the race watching and marking each other resulting in an Italian or Aussie winning is my bet.
    Don't think Belgium have anything to gain by watching and marking the Dutch. They'll be trying to break the race up and gain a numerical advantage.

    Evenepoel's TT was merely practice for his inevitable attack from 50km out.
  • inseineinseine Posts: 5,655
    Looking at the full startlist, seems harsh on GB to just have 6 riders. How do Denmark, for example end up with 8?
Sign In or Register to comment.