what do i actually need for zwift???

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
Hey guys,

I'm stuck with what I actually need to run zwift.
I have a tacx vortex smart trainer and it's paired to my Lenovo laptop which has Bluetooth 4.0

Do I still need an ant+ antenna or is the Bluetooth 4.0 enough to run zwift??
I've been searching but keep getting contradicting answers saying I need the antenna but others saying I don't, please help!!

thanks,
neil.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If your turbo is discovered by Zwift via the laptop just using the Lenovo bluetooth, then you'll see it in the Zwift app.
    If it doesnt connect , then BT on Lenovo is not compatible and then you 'll need a small ANT+ usb dongle for the Lenovo.

I suspect with Lenovo you'll need the ANT dongle.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    As above, you probably will need an ant+ dongle.

Worth watching the Shane Miller set up video:
    https://youtu.be/Eg0IDDmSStw
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    For a laptop I’d recommend the Suunto movestick mini dongle, it’s small enough to just leave in.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • irvs
    Cheers lads. I’ll just get one ordered up.

Neil.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You can also get a BLE dongle that will work with Windows 10. Had similar issues with a Windows desktop inbuilt BLE, but as soon as I used a more modern BLE dongle, it worked fine.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Been a while since using Zwift but you can use the Zwift companion app (on iOS and Android) to bridge the Tacx Vortex to your laptop. No need for a BLE dongle.

Only issue is your HR sensors (and cadence if the Vortex doesnt transmit cadence) need to be bluetooth compatible if yu want them to show up. But you dont need them to use Zwift.
  • irvs
    azzurri78 wrote:
    Been a while since using Zwift but you can use the Zwift companion app (on iOS and Android) to bridge the Tacx Vortex to your laptop. No need for a BLE dongle.

Only issue is your HR sensors (and cadence if the Vortex doesnt transmit cadence) need to be bluetooth compatible if yu want them to show up. But you dont need them to use Zwift.

great idea mate, thanks. ill give it a go see how it works out.

neil.