Bike Build - Headset Question

ed1973
ed1973 Posts: 284
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Building up a new bike and I have a question about the headset.
I went on the Crane Creek Headset Finder online and it said I needed the following headset (tapered steerer)
ZS 44/28.6 upper and ZS 56/40 lower
In a tired state I ordered a headset but in my tired state, instead of the ZS56/40 lower I ordered an EC 56/40 lower.
So question, will it fit?

Comments

• I can't answer your question with any authority. But I fond this article by Parktools very helpful.
    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -standards.

EC refers to Conventional Threaded, whereas ZS refers to low profile integrated, internal cups and a lot more. I suspect they won't fit. But as I said I have zero experience in this.
  • ed1973
    I can't answer your question with any authority. But I fond this article by Parktools very helpful.
    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -standards.

EC refers to Conventional Threaded, whereas ZS refers to low profile integrated, internal cups and a lot more. I suspect they won't fit. But as I said I have zero experience in this.
    Thanks for the reply
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, an EC 56 fits into a 44mm lower with an external bearing (as used on threaded but can be used with ahead), a ZS is internal and the frame hole size is much bigger.

Distance selling applies!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ed1973
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, an EC 56 fits into a 44mm lower with an external bearing (as used on threaded but can be used with ahead), a ZS is internal and the frame hole size is much bigger.

Distance selling applies!
    Thanks
    That will teach me to order tired!!
  • ed1973
    Quick update
    Headset arrived and fits!! I just needed the bearing out of the bottom cup of the new headset as the cup was already present in the frame.
    I’m still very much learning about headsets!
  • Here's another headset question. :?:

If the headset is poor enough that the sealed bearings fail within 7 months, why just replace the bearings? They will fail again in another 7 months. :(

Surely it is the design of the rest of the headset that holds the bearings and is supposed to keep water and muck out (but fails). Why not change the entire headset for a better one? And then go much longer than 7 months before new bearings are needed. :)

Does anyone know for sure?
  • Here's another headset question. :?:

If the headset is poor enough that the sealed bearings fail within 7 months, why just replace the bearings? They will fail again in another 7 months. :(

Surely it is the design of the rest of the headset that holds the bearings and is supposed to keep water and muck out (but fails). Why not change the entire headset for a better one? And then go much longer than 7 months before new bearings are needed. :)

Might not be an issue with the headset necessarily.

If the sealed bearings aren't very `sealed`, that could be an issue.

We all know that the quality can vary a lot and maybe the bearings aren't up to the job? If you are talking about your e-bike, then they have to carry a much great bike weight/load. Maybe the manufacturers have spec'd `normal` bearings and they aren't up to the job.

Headset design deficiencies could be an issue, but that's well outside my scope.

You're the engineer Steve - you work it out! (and design something better).
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Here's another headset question. :?:

The early failure could be a manufacturing defect, rubbish bearings or a headset design issue. Personally I'd do what the OP has done and see what happens.

My Old 2006 Carrera bearings were still working in 2017 when I took the bike off the road, were built into an MTB which was recovered from a ditch and then went into my commuter for over 6,500 miles.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.