Scared on descents

13»

Comments

• I had a moment of clarity on my ride in this morning.

It IS important to understand counter steering, that way you know that when you are riding at more than 1mph, don't try and turn left by turning the handlebars left. All it will do is make your bike lean right, make you unbalanced and less confident that you are in control.

It's just not important to ever actually consciously use it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Another vote for not over-thinking it. When you ride without hands on the bars you can still turn by adjusting your weight/leaning. The counter-steering thing is sound but in the real world you just need to relax into the turn, aim for the vanishing point and think 'WHHHHHEEEEEEE' as you swoop round bends with a silly grin on your face! :)

Nicely put! :wink:

PP

Or as I did on one sportive, realise you're entering a corner far too fast, bunny-hop the kerb and disappear into a field of stubble :D
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,531
    I remember being told about counter steering when I first started riding motorbikes - I'd been happily doing it for a year but when I consciously though about it during a corner, it was deeply unhelpful as I ended up overthinking something that came quite naturally anyway.
  • Personally i think you've already conquered the hardest part (least for me it is) and that's the going up bit, well done for that.

Coming down is fine, but that going up bit is a killer.