Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Urban/ Gravel tyre for 27.5 inch plus size rim and pressure gauge

FerencFerenc Posts: 118
edited September 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Been looking at the forum to answer this question and looking at different websites. I have Schwalbe Rocket Ron Performance 27.5 x 2.8" Tyres with Bontrager Line 40 28-hole Tubeless Ready rims. The bike is a hardtail MTB. Now I use it to commute to work on the road (20 mins a day) but will use the bike to cycle tow-paths when I can't get foresting. I am looking for a tyre no less than 2.2inch width to kit the bike with. Any suggestions?

The other question I have, those of you using pressure gauges, which one do you use? I have looked at the Topeak D2 Smart Head Digital Pressure Gauge but for the price, it has a few issues. My reasoning: if I am to pay £21.99 for a pressure gauge that is not waterproof or dustproof then what is the point in paying the price?.....reviewed here https://gearchase.com/blog/topeak-smart ... ure-gauge/

Any recommendations for bike insurance as well, pls?

Posts

  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,789
    The D2 is a very good pressure gauge.
    Why would you want it to be waterproof or dustproof? It’s either in your garage/shed or backpack when not in use.

    If you are happy with the Rocket Ron tyres they are available in 2.25” width.
    There are loads of other suitable tyres. What is your budget?

    Often the best way to insure a bike is to include it on building contents insurance.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

    Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    What internal width are your rims.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    What internal width are your rims.

    With 2.8" tyres on Bontrager Line 40 rims, I'm guessing that the internal rim width is 40mm. I wonder if I guessed right? :D
  • Ferenc wrote:
    ..........

    .......I have looked at the Topeak D2 Smart Head Digital Pressure Gauge but for the price, it has a few issues. My reasoning: if I am to pay £21.99 for a pressure gauge that is not waterproof or dustproof then what is the point in paying the price?.....reviewed here https://gearchase.com/blog/topeak-smart ... ure-gauge/

    .............../quote]

    Don't worry about it. I have had a Topeak D2 for ten years without any problems. I keep it in my backpack at the bottom of the open topped part of my Camelbak MULE, which is neither waterproof nor dustproof. I regularly empty out dried out and crumbled leaves, dead insects, sand, and sundry detritus. The gauge does wear out eventually though. I only have Presta valves and I check my pressures every time I go out. The Presta part of the connector finally wore to the point where it was unreliable. It would still work if I fiddled with it but after ten years I thought it didn't owe me anything, so I bought a new one. My grandson was delighted to get my old one! He says he never has any problems with it! Maybe it just needed a rest! :lol:
  • robertpbrobertpb Posts: 1,866
    robertpb wrote:
    What internal width are your rims.

    With 2.8" tyres on Bontrager Line 40 rims, I'm guessing that the internal rim width is 40mm. I wonder if I guessed right? :D

    Well Steve nearly right 41mm.

    But putting narrow tyres on those rims is going in the least to give them an awful profile.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • robertpb wrote:
    ..............

    Well Steve nearly right 41mm.

    But putting narrow tyres on those rims is going in the least to give them an awful profile.

    I entirely agree, I wasn't suggesting that they were OK. But your reply prompted me to look up this link to a Schwalbe website that considers rim width and tyre width limitations.
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

    Click "which tyre fits which rim"
    Scroll down to the chart.
    The widest rim width shown is 40mm and the narrowest tyre recommended by Schwalbe is 65mm or 2.56" So a 41mm internal rim width and you'd be OK with a 2.6" tyre, deffo not a 2.2.
  • FerencFerenc Posts: 118
    JBA wrote:
    The D2 is a very good pressure gauge.
    Why would you want it to be waterproof or dustproof? It’s either in your garage/shed or backpack when not in use.

    If you are happy with the Rocket Ron tyres they are available in 2.25” width.
    There are loads of other suitable tyres. What is your budget?

    Often the best way to insure a bike is to include it on building contents insurance.

    Hi JBA,
    I ride alot in wet weather and prefer these conditions....along with the mud :D so waterproof is essential. I am looking for a tyre with less tread. £30- £45 per tyre is my budget. I rent and have no building insurance. Thanks for the advice!
  • FerencFerenc Posts: 118
    robertpb wrote:
    What internal width are your rims.


    Hey Rob,

    40-41mm

    Thanks
  • FerencFerenc Posts: 118
    robertpb wrote:
    robertpb wrote:
    What internal width are your rims.

    With 2.8" tyres on Bontrager Line 40 rims, I'm guessing that the internal rim width is 40mm. I wonder if I guessed right? :D

    Well Steve nearly right 41mm.

    But putting narrow tyres on those rims is going in the least to give them an awful profile.

    Rob, what do you suggest is the narrowest tyre or these rims then pls?
  • FerencFerenc Posts: 118
    robertpb wrote:
    ..............

    Well Steve nearly right 41mm.

    But putting narrow tyres on those rims is going in the least to give them an awful profile.

    I entirely agree, I wasn't suggesting that they were OK. But your reply prompted me to look up this link to a Schwalbe website that considers rim width and tyre width limitations.
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

    Click "which tyre fits which rim"
    Scroll down to the chart.
    The widest rim width shown is 40mm and the narrowest tyre recommended by Schwalbe is 65mm or 2.56" So a 41mm internal rim width and you'd be OK with a 2.6" tyre, deffo not a 2.2.

    Sorry Steve, just saw the ref to Schwalbe website. Now just need to consider tread type for gravel/ road/ rain...
Sign In or Register to comment.