Rear wheel binding issue

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited September 2019 in Workshop
So I bought a wheelset from SuperStar Components recently in the summer offer section.

They are 700c Arc31 with SuperStar Switch Ultra hubs. The rear hub came setup for standard QR , Anyway it looks like the rear wheel has a locknut / adapter thing on the non drive side that takes the large hollow axle, It looks like a thru axle to QR converter.

Anyway if you undo this the you can push the axle through and from the drive side the axle comes away and on the inside attached to the cassette body you have the pawls and ratchet mechanism etc.

The issue is that if you tighten this non-drive side lock nut thing to anything other than 'only just biting' even very slightly loose the freehub body binds up so that you cannot spin the freewheel backwards without significant friction.

Clearly the lock nut is designed to be tightened up as it has wrench flats on it but if I tighten this up any more than hand tight (not even hard just barely tight) it binds even before I put the wheel back into the bike.

The only way I have found that gets around this issue is to have the nut very slightly looser than hand tight then when I tighten up the QR skewer it holds it in place. I have tried moving the wheel from side to side when setup like this and even when putting all my weight into it I cannot get any lateral movement nor can I get the wheel to budge vertically if I give the tyre a good thumb whilst in the stand. In this setup the freewheel moves as intended and the bike will coast without the cranks turning or binding and you can back pedal etc.

Clearly the QR skewers are applying enough pressure from the sides to keep everything in check but my concern is that this lock nut thing is not very tight.

Is it meant to be like this?

The fact that my Hope QR skewers are holding it in place nice and firmly should mean I am good to ride yes?

I have raised a case with SuperStar but awaiting their response and given this is now my only bike I really need to be able to ride otherwise my commute gets damn expensive (I live in the sticks).

Comments