Help with headset bearings

steve_sordy
steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
edited September 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a headset that is grumbling, lower bearing only at the moment, but I thought I'd replace the top and bottom bearings at the same time. The headset is an Acros AZX-212 AH, 1-1/8", tapered, HSZS 44/286-ZS56/40 W

I understand the "1-1/8", tapered" part of the description, but what does the rest of it mean?

What size bearings do I need to order that fit with that? Are they plain roller bearings, or is either of them an angular contact bearing? What width are they?

I tried the "cane creek headset finder" but the bike isn't in it.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Have a read of this Steve.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -standards

Scroll down and it will explain the ZS code and the 44 being a 44mm bearing. Same for the ZS56. HS means headset :-)

You can then look for brands that offer what you are looking for.

Might be worth followng up on some of the links on here:

https://www.emtbforums.com/community/th ... fled.5142/
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    ZS indicates a zero stack (semi-integrated) headset.
    The first set of letters and numbers refer to the upper headset and the second set of numbers to the lower.

ZS44/28.6 means zero stack to fit a headtube inner diameter of 44mm and a steerer outer diameter of 28.6mm.

ZS 56/40means zero stack to fit a headtube inner diameter of 56mm and a steerer outer diameter of 40mm.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They don't tell you the BEARING size, just the headset, to replace just the cartridges you'll need to remove them and get he number off them and/or a micrometer on them.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.