MTB to Adventure bike

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited September 2019 in MTB general
So next year were planning 2-3 adventures 2-3 nights away in the middle of nowhere. Couple of the guys buying gravel bikes but I've just bought a new road bike so this aint an option and I don't see a need to buy one. I do have an old MTB, GT Aggressor XC2, Rockshox Recon forks lockout, Shimano Deore group 44/32/22 & 10/32 cassette, hydro Discs, Alex DP17 rims (26"), Panracer fire xc pro 2.1" rubber.
So how can I make it more adventure bike than MTB.
Terrain will be Single trak, natural trails, forestry gravel roads, tarmac that resembles forestry roads and tarmac
Apart from the obvious luggage needed what else? type of tyres etc

Comments

• kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Word "Adventure" - is big today isn't it, it's catchy...sometimes riding to a pub is an adventure or maybe....riding back from the pub.

If the bike is sound mechanically you should be absolutely fine.

You are not going around the globe!

Jump on the bike and have fun.
  • Your bike should be fine for that. I've done up to 35 miles on very similar terrian on my old 2006 HT running 3x9 with 26" wheels.

Panaracer Fire XC Pro are really good tyres for what you want to do actually. Good levels of grip on and off-road, hard wearing, fast rolling and you can pump them up to 60psi for road riding. I've used them on and off since the 90's.

I'm assuming that yours are tubed? I now have the 2.1's in UST tubeless format and that helps reduce punctures massively. You pick up thorns and stuff, lose a tiny bit of air and carry on. I've even got them in 1.8 but don't use them anymore.

I don't think you need to do a lot to be fair. Just make sure it is as fit and healthy as it can be.

You'll probalby need a few spares, tools etc and maybe take a spare folding tyre, just in case.

Good lights/torches can be life savers. Take a power pack for your phone and download What Three Words.

And have fun!
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • rob39
    rob39 Posts: 479
    Its a cracking bike in great condition had it from new 2007, upgraded the group set few years back. Yeah running tubes, punctures are just the nature of the beast, easy quick fix.