Adult Tricycle

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
A good friend of mine suffered a stroke a few years ago and part of his ongoing physiotherapy involves using a turbo trainer. He was an occasional cyclist before the stroke and, understandably, finds the turbo a bit boring. He doesn't quite have full balance yet and is considering a tricycle, just to allow him to get out and about a bit more. He and his wife have asked me for advice - I have helped them before with sourcing and setting up the turbo. Unfortunately, I don't really have much to offer them other than a few Google searches. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this subject? Ideally in the Glasgow/Ayrshire area with facility to "try before you buy". Thanks for any input. Cheers
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• Perhaps try a recumbent tricycle? Something different, true. But i think it would feel more natural around corners.
  • I highly recommend Ben at Kinetics in Maryhill Road for esoteric two and three wheeled machines, ideas and possible loaners.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Might be worth having a read through the info on this website

https://tricycleassociation.org.uk/about-tricycles/

They don't appear to have a Scottish regional section but you could call them for info north of the border.

If he is looking for a racing/touring type tricycle then oit seems that a custom build may be the only way - and they're not cheap. Maybe check out Ebay

A quick search threw up this option with a buy it now price of £315

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Built-L ... Sw--pdZ4VB

s-l1600.jpg
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Hi
    My dad has Parkinson's and had to stop cycling after a few incidents where his body wouldn't carry out what he asked fast enough, eg coming to a stop and feet still on pedals.
    Now he has a Ammaco Free and Easy which he rides around the block on.
    I've had a few goes and find it dangerous on corners as you'd expect with no diff/ability to lean. Im also conscious of dad forgetting the rear is wider than the front and clipping the kerb which would tip him off.
    You're doing the right thing seeking a test ride :)
  • My wife rides one all the time. I've tried it and always crash it. Steering is opposite to a bike..you have to lean out rather than in but I can't get the hang of it. Front wheel always seems very twitchy to a roadie.

A test ride somewhere quiet is a must. I've seen guys racing them but they are slower than a bike. I've even seen a tandem trike. Now that was a fearsome machine.

Obviously very stable, and wifey has a basket for carrying shopping and things.

You don't need to go with full size - 700c - wheels. There are plenty available with half or three quarter size wheels. They do take up a lot of storage space; far more than you think.

That eBay bike ^^^ looks good.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thank you so much for the replies, some great info there. I will pass it on to them. Much appreciated. Cheers.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"