Sora to 105?

Pepperoni Man
Pepperoni Man Posts: 41
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I currently have a Wilier Izoard XP which Ive owned for just over two years. It came with Sora and at £699 I think I got a good buy

I have 3 bikes and I usually re place the oldest one every couple of years or so. Thing is I love the Izoard and for the first time Im thinking of upgrading the groupset on a bike

The obvious thing to do is move from Sora to 105. In order to do this Ill need to upgrade the wheels as well

Firstly, do people think this is a sensible way forward? Personally I think the Izoard would come into its own but would welcome other views

Secondly, assuming people think this is a good way forward without breaking the bank what would be a good wheel upgrade from the current Shimano Claris I have?

Thoughts and advice would be welcome

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    R7000 is a great groupset and will enhance your enjoyment. Cero AR24s are light, cheap and nice to ride.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Only replace it if it's broken. If your groupset is working then what do you want the new one to do ?
  • cougie wrote:
    Only replace it if it's broken. If your groupset is working then what do you want the new one to do ?

As Bobones says, I was hoping it would enhance my enjoyment, make the bike lighter, slicker shifting etc.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, I upgraded my TCR from Tiagra to 105, haven't ever regretted that, I'm sure you won't regret it.

The weight you won't notice but the extra two cogs on the back will come in handy.

If you are lucky you might not even need to replace your wheels - do you need to use a spacer to mount your cassettes at the moment?

Also now the rules have been clarified so you can potentially buy the groupset & wheels on cyclescheme, did this recently with a hydraulic 105 group on wiggle as it was simply too good a deal to pass up!
  • yes - upgrade. nicer groupset, better action, lighter, etc etc. You'll enjoy it more and its not actually a lot of money.

plus you'll be changing half the parts - chain, cassette, cables, brake blocks, etc - when you do your full annual service anyway, so you'd have spent this money anyway so costs come down :)

#buyit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.