1500km ride

OlegR
OlegR Posts: 5
edited September 2019 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I do periodically audaxes 200-400-600, one day 100-150 km rides etc.

Now I'm planing to ride 1500km, in about 7 days or less. About 15000m elevation, self supported.
95% tarmac.
I'll ride through 43 cities, so average 35km between them.

I expect about 6 hours / 100km with stops. So about 12 hours on the saddle daily.
Pedaling time about 4.5-5 hours/100km. 9-10hours daily.

As I'm riding through cities, so I'll try to eat normal food, planning about 2000kcal/100km and about 3 liters of water/100km.

I was advised to supplement with Mineral and Vitamin Complex, BCAA, Citrulline, Beta Alanine.

I don't have health issues, just a knee that started to be annoying periodically, but nothing that push me off the bike.

Please share your experience if doing long distances multiple days rides.
Any tips will be helpful!

Comments

• Ignore the supplements. Ride steady, eat proper food and have decent breaks. Don't worry if it's 12 hours or 14 hours on the bike. You will get tired with back to back days so just keep it steady all the time. The only 'non normal food' I'd suggest would electrolyte tabs in one of your water bottles. Take a spork. If you've ridden 600k audaxes within the time limit you should have no problem with 7 x 200km days.

Edit. You'll be much slower than you think riding through cities and when you get tired you'll wish you were on open roads. Cities really are not the best place to be when you're riding tired and fatigued.
  • Brakeless, thanks
    40 cities are small, I mean 15-20 min to go through.

The reason of this trip is to ride through all cities we have here.

Another question, will aero bars helps with palm/fingers numbness?
  • Another question
    I'm from MTB and CX background, and new to long road rides.

1. I'm planing to split the distance like this, just to have over night stops in more convenient cities/places:
    1st day - 240km
    2nd day ~ 240km
    3rd day ~ 150km
    4th day ~ 200km
    5th day ~ 160km
    6th day ~ 240km
    7th day ~ 240km

More concerned regarding first day, but will ride slower than average.

or it's better to increase the length daily, or make them equal?