Need help with pedals

Tavish
Tavish Posts: 20
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm buying my first bike (CAADAX Tiagra Cyclocross) and want a pedal that I can use with normal shoes but also have the option to clip-in once my confidence has built up. I have to get them from Evans as I'm getting everything via cycle to work, I've seen the following but no idea if they're what I'll need.

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-a52 ... s-00102798

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-m32 ... s-00102706

Any advice would be really helpful.

Comments

• lemonenema
    lemonenema Posts: 216
    edited September 2019
    Edited
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    My concern with the 324 pedals would be they sit clip side down - so when you want to clip in you have to flip the pedal over first. No great issue if you're not constantly stopping/starting - but more of a pain if you're always putting a foot down.

FWIW - I ride all my bikes with/without clips without changing the pedals - these are flats, SPDs and SPD-SLs - I can quite happily ride the SPDs in trainers without the flat converters, although if I'm doing a lot I'll pop them on.
  • second is hefty but perfect for your needs. problems as above but hey, its a nothing problem.

#transportation
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • :oops:
    lemonenema wrote:
    what is a peddle?
  • slowbike
    Tavish wrote:
    :oops:
    lemonenema wrote:
    what is a peddle?

Wouldn't worry - most of us make mistakes and they're just ignored...
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,575
    If your plan is to switch to using spds full time once you're used to the bike then I'd probably get a cheap pair of flat pedals and a pair of m520 spds.
    Cost will be about the same as a pair of the 324s but you won't have to put up with the annoying platform side when you aren't using it anymore.
  • The flat side of the A520 is slippery and not great for cycling long distances with flat shoes on, they're downright dangerous in the wet.

Double sided pedals such as the M520 are far easier for learning how to clip in as you don't have to worry about what side up the pedals are.
  • Slowbike wrote:
    My concern with the 324 pedals would be they sit clip side down - so when you want to clip in you have to flip the pedal over first. No great issue if you're not constantly stopping/starting - but more of a pain if you're always putting a foot down.

FWIW - I ride all my bikes with/without clips without changing the pedals - these are flats, SPDs and SPD-SLs - I can quite happily ride the SPDs in trainers without the flat converters, although if I'm doing a lot I'll pop them on.

Such as these?

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-r55 ... d-EV199772
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    What about some MT50's or M424s? Both would work either with flats or SPD's but chunky though. I know the M424 is double sided so that works in its favour.

The M520 is a great pedal to learn on. An keep as well great for commuting too being double sided.

Tavish, the pedals linked are SPD-SL pedals you can ride them in flats but they are not the most comfortable and are single sided, the underside so to speak is rather annoying to pedal on due to its shape.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just start off with cheap cage pedals and swap to SPD or Time ATAC when you feel happier.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I've been using M324'son my 29er for the last 3 years, they would be perfect for your needs. I use the bike to cycle with the kids and the flat side is perfect for use with trainers or regular shoes, plenty of grip and never had an issue.

When using the bike off road I use SPD shoes and clip in and never had a problem with the clip in side being on the wrong side, its simple to flick the pedal over and clip in and even if you didn't manage it and needed to move in a hurry, there is no problem cycling unclipped with SPD shoes on the flat side of the pedals too. I'd highly recommend them.
  • slowbike
    I wouldn't get the SLs with the intention of riding them in trainers - because they're one sided and you'll slip off the non-clip side very easily.

SPDs are great for learning how to clip in - ignore those who say they're "Mountain bike Pedals" - they pre-date mountain bikes - I know people who TT using SPDs (and they're not slow).

As suggested - start off with a cheap set of cage pedals or just flats that come with the bike (assuming they do) - and then chose your pedal system once you've got a bit of experience.
  • If you wanted to cast your net wider, then I can recommend these Boardman hybrid pedals. I find they are good for stop/start commutes:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman- ... al-17.html

They feel quite secure on the flat side, and easy to flip round to the clip side. I know you said you had to use Evans, but even at full price these would be a saving on the Shimano touring pedals. Plus, if you were thinking of joining British Cycling then you would get 10% off at Halfords (and Cycle Republic I think).
  • I started off with Zefal 45 Half Toe-Clips, then progressed to the M520 with some cheap shoes from Decathlon, I now use 105 SDP SL.
  • HaDoKen wrote:
    I started off with Zefal 45 Half Toe-Clips, then progressed to the M520 with some cheap shoes from Decathlon, I now use 105 SDP SL.

The Zefal look ideal to start with, what pedals would I have to get that will allow me to fit them onto?
  • Generally any flat resin pedal will be ok, the toe clips will "usually" use the same mounting holes which the reflectors screw into.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Generally any flat resin pedal will be ok, the toe clips will "usually" use the same mounting holes which the reflectors screw into.

Thanks
  • They will be rubbish though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • They will be rubbish though.

What would you suggest then mate? I'll be using normal trainers for at a few months I'd imagine until I've built up enough confidence to get clip-ins
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I have a pair of these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/shimano-deore-xt-pdt8000-single-sided-spd-clipless-pedals/ on my winter/pub bike and they work very well. Expensive but good quality and easy enough to clip in, you can feel if you are on the flat side so just flip over and stamp to clip in. I've had mine for around 8 years and can recommend
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • I found the Zefal to be a good introduction to having my foot being attached to the pedals, they were easy to get out of and done a good enough job of giving me an idea of what it was like having my foot attached to the pedal and at only £3, worth a punt!