Things That Make You Feel Old

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    HaydenM wrote:
    I hope his voice gets better as he gets older. He's a bit thin and reedy for my liking, especially when he tries to push it.

He is 8 months older than me so I'm also hoping mine does too...

Pfft kids these days, squeaky voices and scraggly hair. Get a hair cut, and a shave! :lol:
  • Capital Radio my 10 year old insists on listening to in the car. WTF??? Moronic DJs and call that music?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I hope his voice gets better as he gets older. He's a bit thin and reedy for my liking, especially when he tries to push it.

Pfft kids these days, squeaky voices and scraggly hair. Get a hair cut, and a shave! :lol:

I could do with a shave but but I'm not down with the Ed Sheeran/Boris Johnson scraggly hair look. Or I might be if I didn't have to look vaguely smart for work sometimes. Growing the beard has done wonders for my career though weirdly
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I could do with a shave but but I'm not down with the Ed Sheeran/Boris Johnson scraggly hair look. Or I might be if I didn't have to look vaguely smart for work sometimes. Growing the beard has done wonders for my career though weirdly

I have many years on you and my face is incapable of growing a beard.

Oh one that came to me, pretty much everyone I work with doesn't remember being able to smoke in pubs
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Prostitutes....
    Care to expand on that one? :)

That's what she said...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I have many years on you and my face is incapable of growing a beard.

Oh one that came to me, pretty much everyone I work with doesn't remember being able to smoke in pubs
    They must be pretty young, it was only banned in 2007 IIRC. Great move though, as you could have a sneaky pint without the wife sussing you out via the obvious smoke smell on your work clothes :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    keef66 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Prostitutes....
    Care to expand on that one? :)

That's what she said...
    Steady on, Finbarr.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    I remember people smoking in pubs but that was banned before I was old enough to buy a pint
  • My Daughter started college today.

What winds me up, her and all her mates wearing slip on sandals with white socks, thinking it looks cool....and calling them sliders.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    I must say that, perhaps out of necessity with two pre-teen daughters, I have developed an appreciation of Taylor Swift songs. I may even have sung along on the odd long car journey.

There. I've said it. But I don't feel old.

I draw the line at Ed Sheeran, though.

Wait til they get older, I have a choice of Bassline, Drum and Bass, Jungle and various other forms of music I couldn't identify but I guess you might call them urban with the older one or the most anodyne MOR pop such as Rex Orange County, Bastille etc from the younger.

I don't mind a lot of the older ones stuff but Jesus I can't stand the bland bands the younger one listens to.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • step83
    My Daughter started college today.

What winds me up, her and all her mates wearing slip on sandals with white socks, thinking it looks cool....and calling them sliders.

Kick em in the toes! That'll learn em!

Bloody sliders, they are still flip flops. An what happened to dress codes?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Step83 wrote:
    My Daughter started college today.

Kick em in the toes! That'll learn em!

Bloody sliders, they are still flip flops. An what happened to dress codes?
    Flip-flops have the part between the toes. Sliders are open toe sandals, or a poncey name for a burger.
  • There is no such thing as sliders, do not refer to them any further.
  • keef66
    The whole celebrity / social media / selfie self-obsessed world. I just hate it.

We were unexpectedly stuck for an extra 3 days in Italy this week courtesy of French Air Traffic Control and Queasyjet, who cancelled our return flight. We decided to spend one of the extra days having a look at Rome, and I was transfixed by the beauty of the Trevi Fountain. Then I noticed a group of young women preening, pouting and posing for photographs for several minutes without even a backward glance at the spectacle behind them. Spoilt it a bit for me.

I'd hate to be young now. The pressures of social media and cyber bullying seem to be a recipe for teenage / young adult mental health issues. And the whole celebrity thing means that so many young people think it's normal to remove all your body hair, spray yourself orange, have your teeth whitened to the point of luminosity and christ knows what injected as fillers into lips, breasts and buttocks.

And don't get me started on reality TV. Big Brother, Love Island, Jeremy Kyle, TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, the Kardashians etc etc. There's nothing real about any of it, it's just pointless, puerile shite.

Matron says my blood pressure is up and I need to have my afternoon nap now...
  • haydenm

Flip flops are cool, but those make you look like you hang around holiday park swimming pools without kids of your own.
  • step83
    his whole crap on TV debate, I'm actually debating not renewing my TV licence, but then I'm stuck with the whole issue of I have the radio on for news in the morning. Quandaries galore.

I get the hatred for social media, and how it makes people behave, I have a couple of accounts I barely use most of them in fact I have canned off a few recently.
    I was in Whitby an looking at the local ruins, an like you there was a mob of young kids trying to take photos of themselves looking all moody etc with it in the background, spoilt it for me as well as I more remember them being noisy and annoying than the actual view.
  • keef66
    Actually this is probably a good warm-up exercise for Saturday night, when I'll be at a school reunion. People I first met in 1969, and haven't seen since 1976. I suppose the chances are a fair few of them won't make it by virtue of being dead...

Definitely makes you aware of your mortality when your contemporaries start to snuff it...
  • haydenm
    I don't think I'll be going to any school reunions, they were tw4ts then and they'll be tw4ts now. I hated school.
  • step83
    HaydenM wrote:
    I don't think I'll be going to any school reunions, they were tw4ts then and they'll be tw4ts now. I hated school.

Same, I left school with an number of scars and a slight limp (good job it was a "decent school"). Only plus point is most of the are decidedly worse off/deaded.
  • keef66
    TBH I'm not really sure why I'm going. Curiosity I suppose. I have a theory that the ones who were knobs aged 11 will still be knobs, and the decent ones will still be decent. If the crowd turns out to be mainly the former I'll have a couple of pints and head back to my sisters where I'm staying
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    HaydenM wrote:

I’m lucky that I went to school in Northamptonshire and I now live in Southend so there’s no real chance of me being invited to see people I was perfectly happy to leave behind

But on the subject of feeling older, about five years ago I returned to my childhood home for the first time since I left in 1980, just to show my kids where I grew up
    I was just amazed by how small the place seemed
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    this thread is actually making me feel not so old!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,388
    crispybug2 wrote:

I’m lucky that I went to school in Northamptonshire

Which one?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    laurentian wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:

I’m lucky that I went to school in Northamptonshire

Which one?

Raunds Manor School
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    There is no such thing as sliders, do not refer to them any further.

when people mention Sliders, and you think they are talking about generating an Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Step83 wrote:
    Same, I left school with an number of scars and a slight limp (good job it was a "decent school"). Only plus point is most of the are decidedly worse off/deaded.

Yep, same here. I'm piddling on some of those ar$eholes heads from a great height. Feels good.
    Most of the life long friends I have, I met at College/Uni.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Being cremated made me realise that I was not as young as I used to be. Also being dead came into it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Lagrange wrote:
    Being cremated made me realise that I was not as young as I used to be. Also being dead came into it.

What's it like on the other side?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pinno wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Being cremated made me realise that I was not as young as I used to be. Also being dead came into it.

You mean on the crudders forum?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Pinno wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

The grass isn't always greener - or so i've heard
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes