BMC Roadmachine 02 Two - clicking with what appears to be the Thru Axle

curthard89
curthard89 Posts: 4
edited September 2019 in Workshop
Hey all,
Im being trolled by an annoying click/tick which has developed and noticed over past few months.
I have a BMC Roadmachine 02 Two 2018, with an Ultegra groupset and DT Swiss wheels and hubs and thru axle system.
When going up hill or putting a lot of power down i will get a small click/tick noise only when the left crank is about 7-8 o'clock position and mainly when in the small chain ring.

This noise goes away if I undo and redo the thru axle. Ive cleaned everything, greased things, taken hanger off, cleaned, greased where it sits against frame. Cleaned and greased axle. Even shimmed the hanger incase was having any form of free-play, but it still comes back.

It will go away for about hour/hour half of riding and eventually come back to troll me, what else could it be?
Once its in its clicking state, if i undo the rear axle, it also makes (what appears) to be the same click like something has released. Also in this state, if I get of the bike and just apply pressure to left crank it will make it click, but not the right crank.

Any suggestions are welcome of what to try next. (yes the thru axle is done up tight) - also checked cranks and pedals and cleats.

Comments

• welcome to a world of frustration chasing clicks. put wheel relationship to one side for the moment...

you haven't mentioned the bottom bracket - remove cranks rotate bearings using finger and feer for gritty or play of just not right, replace if necessary.

then theres the pedals, remove, clean the threads and clean the crank threads, lightly grease and refit the pedals.

then theres the crank arm itself, remove cranks from the bike, clean axle, tighten chainring bolts, apply grease to the threads and refit and tighten.

SEATPOST remove from bike, clean and re grease / apply paste. remove saddle from seat post. Clean rails and clamp, lightly grease then refit the saddle.

now go back to the wheels, strip the hubs and feel for play in the bearings. In those hubs, they're easy to get at but the devil to remove without the right tools. replace if necessary and reassemble having cleaned everything and added the special grease.

clean the threads on the frame and the through axle. Lightly grease and reassemble.

Check the spokes are uniformly tensioned. I have some wheels like this and had to apply a little grease between the spokes where they cross to stop a tingling sound when under heavy load. (i.e. pushing hard on steep uphills)

check the rotor is attached securely and has no run out.

thats everything bar the headset, dont neglect the headset. if the above doesn't work try dropping the fork out and removing the headset bearings and cleaning/ regreasing or replacing. then reassemble and adjust.

theres an hour of your time just there.
  • Ive already been through of all that too unfortunately, had the bike apart. As far as I can tell, solely comes down to the thru axle, as cant figure out why it would go away if I undo and redo it up. I'll try another thru axle I suppose.

My LBS has recently checked and serviced the rear hub and BB, but this problem was around before this.
  • curthard89 wrote:
    Ive already been through of all that too unfortunately, had the bike apart. As far as I can tell, solely comes down to the thru axle, as cant figure out why it would go away if I undo and redo it up. I'll try another thru axle I suppose.

My LBS has recently checked and serviced the rear hub and BB, but this problem was around before this.

Try a different axle.

Also did the shop replace all the bearings when they serviced the hub?
  • So after a few days without clicking, it clicked, so I replaced the Axle with another one (non DT Swiss), just the Tacx trainer one, it went away for a while.. Today i went for a ride, and its back!

Pretty annoying click on both pedal strokes - again, stopped, loosened axle, redid up, and it's gone again.

Ive booked in to be looked at with my local bike shop for this coming weekend, but will try and diagnose it myself still.