Picked up a great second hand bike - help me complete it, brakes / wheels.

boxrick
boxrick Posts: 38
edited September 2019 in Workshop
I have just picked up the following Tiagra equipped Cannondale Synapse bike for around £350 which I think is a great price.

However the brakes are terrible even after spending time bedding them in. I also have a set these lying around https://www.evanscycles.com/mavic-aksiu ... t-EV348892 and plan to swap them over.

I did try swapping my front wheel however it seems the 6 bolt brake isn't obviously compatible.

I read good things about TRP Spyre C brakes, so I have a few questions:

1) Does it make sense to get a pair of TRP Spyre Calipers, or are there better options if the brakes are rubbish?
2) Can I mix and match, so perhaps purchase a couple of Shimano Centrelock rotors to go with the new Calipers and so they fit my new wheelset without any issue?

Any help is appreciated!

Some pictures of the bike and bits below

bike1.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike3.jpg
bike4.jpg
bike5.jpg

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    Those holes are for spokes, not the disc. You can get a 6 bolt to centre lock adaptor I believe, but those are cheap discs so just buy new ones. Best cable option is TRP HyRd I believe.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Those holes are for spokes, not the disc. You can get a 6 bolt to centre lock adaptor I believe, but those are cheap discs so just buy new ones. Best cable option is TRP HyRd I believe.

TRP HyRd appear to be about £100 per caliper, if I am spending that money I guess it makes sense to just upgrade the groupset to 11 speed Shimano R7000 and full hydraulics with all the benefits that brings and flog the old groupset.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRP-Spyre-C- ... 3015062978 £70 ish for a full TRP Spyre set here which doesn't seem too bad.

So, can I just throw a decent set of Shimano Centrelock Rotors on with the TRP calipers rather than using funky adaptors?
  • Just purchased a couple of TRP Spyre SLC calipers rather than the ones I linked and some 105 160mm discs. Total of about £135 fingers crossed it all fits ok...
  • good value cycling even with new stuff
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    boxrick wrote:
    I have just picked up the following Tiagra equipped Cannondale Synapse bike for around £350 which I think is a great price.
    I'd say it's a great price. Too good. Stolen??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D