Will 6703 STI shifters work with the 4703 chainset

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Will a 4703 chainset (tiagra 10 speed triple chainset) be fine with a 6703 triple STI shifter?

Asking as I haven't been able to find anywhere that would say otherwise; thanks!

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,127
    You can't mix and match 4700 series mechs and shifters with other 10 speed Shimano because it uses the pull ratios for 11 speed.

However, it still uses the same chain width so there should be no issues with dropping in a 4700 series chainset or cassette into a different 10 speed Shimano set up (as long as its just the chainset and not the mechs too!).
  • super_davo wrote:
    You can't mix and match 4700 series mechs and shifters with other 10 speed Shimano because it uses the pull ratios for 11 speed.

However, it still uses the same chain width so there should be no issues with dropping in a 4700 series chainset or cassette into a different 10 speed Shimano set up (as long as its just the chainset and not the mechs too!).

Thanks,

this is exactly what I was thinking..... I'm only looking to replace the chainset, the rest of the groupset is ultegra 6700 (mechs, STI shifters, cassette & brakes).