Removing oil from rs505 brake pads

prcody
prcody Posts: 67
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Does anyone have any tips from removing oil from disc brake pads? Iv replaced the front and rear sets once already which was my fault for contamination but the second ones are squealing like mad and I haven't touched them to cause any issues. It may have been caused when the mechanic did bleed the front brakes.

I want to try save the sets I have as they are all as good as new with flip all use but I've no idea how to safely remove the oil. I'm not sure I can burn the oil out as the backing on the pads is plastic whic would then probably melt.

Comments

• buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I've never has any luck whatsoever trying to rescue contaminated pads; if they're just dirty you might get away with riding them for a bit with some aggressive braking and see if you can scrub off whatever is on there, but if it's oil you don't stand a chance because it'll have soaked all the way through enough to stop them working.

My only other advice is to make sure that you clean your rotors thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol before you go putting fresh pads in there.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    prcody wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips from removing oil from disc brake pads? Iv replaced the front and rear sets once already which was my fault for contamination but the second ones are squealing like mad and I haven't touched them to cause any issues. It may have been caused when the mechanic did bleed the front brakes.

I want to try save the sets I have as they are all as good as new with flip all use but I've no idea how to safely remove the oil. I'm not sure I can burn the oil out as the backing on the pads is plastic whic would then probably melt.

They are not as good as new ,they are knackered. Don't waste your time trying.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Check for leaks overnight with paper towel.
    Washing up liquid might work, depends how bad they are. Work it in and rinse off. Clean discs as said.
    But at the same time pattern pads from uberbike are £10ish.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've had some success (only intended to be temporary) by soaking in petrol (a darn good solvent) for 24 hours then baking in the oven on max for 30 minutes to dry them out. Nothing else came close to working.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • prcody
    prcody Posts: 67
    David, thanks for the link. I will try popping out the pads from the holders tonight and order in replacements.

Seeing as I have a spare set I will try washing up liquid with one and the petrol with another for research purposes.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Check for leaks or you'll be back to square one :)