Carbon Frames

CHoskins
CHoskins Posts: 4
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Hey guys first post.

I’m looking into buying a new road bike. I started out with an entry level aluminum and am considering going with a CAAD 13, or going into carbon. For my budget I am looking at pinarello gan or the new super six with 105 components. I’ve read a lot about cheaper carbon frames not being as good as a good aluminum and was just wanting some information. Any help would be great!

Comments

• Hi,

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Do you have any cycle shops near you? ie Evans, local store etc

I started a year or so back and bought a cheap (ish) alu bike. Hopefully next year I will get a nice carbon bike and the alu will become my winter bike. Nothing stopping you going straight to carbon if funds allow. Low end carbon may not get you a better bike compared to alu - it all depends.

Most important is you try the bike and are comfortable on it before you buy (and that it looks cool obv :D )

Don't forget to save some cash for clothes/shoes etc.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    caad 13 with SRAM Force and carbon deep rims.

nigh on perfection.

#caadsrock
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I’m look at about 2500 US dollars. Which would put me on the low end of the Supersix or the Gan. The closest shops for me to deal with are about an hour to hour and a half away. They deal pinarello, giant, Cannondale, and Cervelo.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    If you look about there's still some CAAD 12's about for a great price:

https://www.sigmasports.com/bikes/cannondale/caad12

If you want disc brakes then the CAAD 13 is probably a better option due to it's support for thru axles. However, if you're cool with rim brakes then IMO the CAAD 12 looks better and is a lovely bike to ride. I've got a CAAD 12 myself and it's great and a definite upgrade over entry level alu.
    It's as fast as any fancy carbon bike I've ever ridden and if you build it up with Ultegra/Force 22/Red 22 then you can get it pretty damn light.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    no need for duscs - stick to caliper, mechanical Force.
    #sweeeeetas
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • no need for duscs - stick to caliper, mechanical Force.
    #sweeeeetas

That’s actually another debate I’m having is discs vs calibers. I like the relatively low maintenance of calibers but with the uprise if disc on the professional stage I wonder if they are superior? I believe team ineos is still using calibers but a lot of teams are switching to disc. Sorry to get off topic.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Calipers - not calibers. But disc bikes also have calipers, so it's easier to refer to rim-brakes...
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    CHoskins wrote:
    #sweeeeetas

That’s actually another debate I’m having is discs vs calibers. I like the relatively low maintenance of calibers but with the uprise if disc on the professional stage I wonder if they are superior? I believe team ineos is still using calibers but a lot of teams are switching to disc. Sorry to get off topic.

You don't need discs. They are solving a problem that doesn't exist. They are heavy, squeak and they look sh1t.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    CHoskins wrote:
    #sweeeeetas

You've only gone and bloody opened Pandora's box haven't you :wink:

I'm sure there's about 100 threads somewhere on this forum about disc v rim brakes.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The CAAD 13 is one of BikeRadar's top 5 road bikes of the year, so obviously a good choice - it being the only Alu bike in the top 5. There is a YT video on the homepage.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Craigus89 wrote:
    You don't need discs. They are solving a problem that doesn't exist. They are heavy, squeak and they look sh1t.
    Mine are silent and I like the look of them. Looks are personal preference.