Matching colour for touch up paint

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited August 2019 in Workshop
I had a genesis croix de fer that is a few years old. I recently scratched it and want to try and touch it up to prevent rust and to make it look nice. I emailed genesis and to my disappointment they not only dont sell the paint but also dont keep a history of the colours they use! Very disappointing from a company you'd expect to be better at that sort of thing. Any way, I'm not left trying to guess the colour code and then order some paint. Any advice? Either on matching the colour, where to order, what paint to use or the process? I'm pretty new to all of it.

Cheers!

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Nail varnish is excellent for small scratches and chips, and seems to be available in a wide range of shades.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,545
    try a decent car paint shop, they should have a spectrophotometer - this can measure the characteristics and allow them to identify a matching touch up kit - make sure the measured area is really clean

if genesis mixed two or more standard colours an exact off the shelf match may not exist, but chances are there'll be one that's close enough to work (the alternative would be a custom mix)

colour perception is complex, even an 'exact' match is likely to be discernible under inspection, differences in materials, process, etc., but if you do a good job it won't be noticeable unless you go looking for it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. I'm not looking for it to be like a new but its be nice for it to be a close match.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    motor paint factor will match exactly and sell you as much/little as you want.

it'll be the place the above car paint shop will go to and will be cheaper

#bythetradeforthetrade
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.