Tubeless tyre user guide help...

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hi all
So following on from why didn't this seal - my first experience of a flat on the road with tubeless tyre and not being able to fix/seal at road side I have a few questions, having never used tubeless before;

Valve cores -
Are all tubeless valves removable?
if so which part is removed - is it the pin that you unscrew when inflating the tyre, does it just pull or twist/unscrew out?
if not, how do you know whether removable valve core or not?
How often and when do you need to replace the valves?

Tyre sealant
In the end end for ease of availability I got some Orange 8oz with injector system.
Before cleaning the tyre I tried to inflate with air compressor which worked, I then gave the tyre a good clean on the inside and scrubbed the old Paety's sealant out and then had a bit of a job to get the tyre back inflated which I eventually managed so I let the tyre down as wasn't sure how to remove the core I ended up just pouring the sealant directly into the tyre and probably put at least 50ml in for the 700x35mm G One. A bit leaked out over the edge at the bottom of the tyre and some around the edges when re inflating and seating the tyre. Also some came out of a small hole in the tyre prior to the sealant doing its job and sealed it ( I guess me cleaning the inside of the tyre ready for new different sealant unblocked the hole) Anyway should there still be enough sealant left in the tyre to prevent other punctures?
Now it's seated can I clean the edges where some of the fluid has leaked around the edges, or again will this allow air to then escape (like when cleaning the inside )

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Andy

tyre pressure
Max pressure says 70psi firstly do pressure guages work on tubeless as mine don't seem to give a reading.
As I mainly ride on the road other club members suggest tyres are too soft I guess they're on 28 or 25s at over 100 odd psi. Would I be better getting more road specfic tubeless that will take higher psi so more efficent on road or should wider tyres be softer for the comfort aero etc even though when softer it dos feel harder to maintain speed.

Roadside repairs
what tools should I take with me to fix on side of road?
I think tyre came unseated from the rim so hand pump wouldn't seat the tyre back on (even though I hadn't the tyre off, or the hole may not have plugged due to not topping up with sealant but less than 6 months old) so should I carry a CO2 chuck and a couple bulbs as well as hand pump?
worms to plug any holes too big to seal by themselves?
Inner tube worse case?
small bottle of sealant to inject to help seat tyre prevent further holes?
valve core remover if have rvc to allow me add sealant after a puncture/air loss?

Maintenance
Is it a case of just adding extra sealant every 3 months or so?
Can you add /have too much sealant inside tyre, should I be taking the tyre off cleaning the inside of the tyre before adding new sealant ?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    edited August 2019
    I have answered all your questions on my website

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/pages/tech-page

Then road side fixing.
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/blogs/news ... s#comments

All the answers are in there.

The fact you have a tyre that inserts when flat means you have a semi tubeless setup. Three things you need to do here is use a robust tubeless tyre. Get the tyre plug in quickly. Carry a spare tube in case you flat.

You could for this rim go back to tubes as frankly is not strictly tubeless compatible setup as a tubeless puncture here is going to be potential faff when you flat. You do need plugs but forget the co2. You would have to test if co2 reliably inflates your tyre with dried sealant on the bead first. Stick a tube in if the tyre inserts. This why I only set up tyres tubeless on rim where I know that rim tyre combination is a good one and the tyre remains seated at zero pressure. Otherwise I tell people bluntly with this wheel set where you stick to tubes.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.