Versatile Aero bike ?

angrod
angrod Posts: 43
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
I'm gonna buy my first road bike, my objective being to train a lot, get good, and to race.

There's a few things I want :

- I want my first bike to be easily upgradable ( so ideally a bike with a good frame ), and to be a able to perform with this bike for as long as possible.
- A bike that's ready to race from the get go is a huge plus ( like the Canyon Aeroad CF SL 7.0 ).
- I would like a bike that would allow me to do Triathlons too ( I know you don't need an aero bike for triathlons, but I'd prefer to have one ).
- I'd like a bike that's stiff, good for accelerating. I'm gonna do a lot of crits ( and the crits available are pretty technical, with a lot of turns )
- And as the title says, I'd like to have an aero bike that's not too much of a pain in climbs ( although if I understood correctly, it's mostly the wheels that have an impact on that, right ? )

I have a budget of between 1900€ and 3000€. Could stretch to 3300€ if it really brings a lot of value.

Right now, I have my eyes on ( from most to less interesting to me) :
- Canyon Aeroad CF SL 7.0 ( although buying it from internet annoys me, and the delay to receive it is pretty long )
- Scott foil 30/20 ( not sure if the 20 adds enough value for the price )
- Propel Advanced 1 2019, or the Advance pro 1 if it's still on sale when I'll have the money.
- BMC TeamMachine SLR02 Four ( not an aero bike, but looks very good for the price )
- Flet FR5
- Orbea orca aero M30 team
- Van Rysel Ultra RCR CF Ultegra ( looks like pretty good value for the price ? )

Finally, I'd prefer to buy a bike in a shop. Brands available in shops near my city are :
- Trek, Cannondale, Giant, Liv, Merida, Orbea, Scott, Focus, Felt, BMC, Specialized, Lapierre, and Decathlon

Thanks.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if you're flexible about buying it from a shop get yourself an S3 in the sales on the internet.

no use if you really want to get it from a shop, but at the end of the day shop buying is more expensive so you'll get less for your money.

#decisons
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited August 2019
    Worth checking the shipping dates on the Aeroad 7 before getting too excited about them. Most aren't shipping now until November and some sizes are not shipping until Feb 2020.
  • angrod
    if you're flexible about buying it from a shop get yourself an S3 in the sales on the internet.

no use if you really want to get it from a shop, but at the end of the day shop buying is more expensive so you'll get less for your money.

#decisons

Yeah I know it's more expensive. It's just buying my first expensive bike on internet is a bit scary.
    And the number 1 thing that draws me back is that it'll be pretty difficult to drag it in my small appartment through a narrow hallway, alone.
  • angrod
    Imposter wrote:
    Worth checking the shipping dates on the Aeroad 7 before getting too excited about them. Most aren't shipping now until November and some sizes are not shipping until Feb 2020.

Yeah I saw that, that sucks. The CF SL 7.0 disc is in stock though, but it's a pain to pay 400€ more for discs, might as well buy a better rim brake bike at this price.
  • Matthewfalle
    no need for discs

#noneedfordiscs

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Angrod wrote:

#decisons

Yeah I know it's more expensive. It's just buying my first expensive bike on internet is a bit scary.

carpe diem

#nonewsteps

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Merida Reacto, but get the BB rear brake set properly. BB386 EVO so just about any crankset will fit if you intend upgrading it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Your first road bike you say ? And you want to race crits ?

As they say - don't race what you can't replace.

Get a cheap alu one for racing crits on. Aero isn't important for that.

Get a TT bike for triathlon. Aero is important but you don't want to train all the time on that.
  • angrod
    philthy3 wrote:
    Merida Reacto, but get the BB rear brake set properly. BB386 EVO so just about any crankset will fit if you intend upgrading it.

Totally forgot to check Merida, I think I just fell in love with the reacto, thanks dude !
    cougie wrote:

Well it's not like I 'want' to race crits. It's just that where I live, It's the only thing I got.
    cougie wrote:

I don't find an alu bike I like + I'll pay for an insurance.
    cougie wrote:
    Get a TT bike for triathlon. Aero is important but you don't want to train all the time on that.

I don't really have the money, nor the space, to get both a road and a TT bike haha
  • Matthewfalle
    Angrod wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Totally forgot to check Merida, I think I just fell in love with the reacto, thanks dude !
    cougie wrote:

Well it's not like I 'want' to race crits. It's just that where I live, It's the only thing I got.
    cougie wrote:

I don't find an alu bike I like + I'll pay for an insurance.
    cougie wrote:

I don't really have the money, nor the space, to get both a road and a TT bike haha

is the S2 an alu bike nowadays? would tick all boxes tbh.

that and some cheap, good, not Hunt carbon wheels and its perfect for everything you need and its probably in your budget.

#S2?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Angrod wrote:
    And the number 1 thing that draws me back is that it'll be pretty difficult to drag it in my small appartment through a narrow hallway, alone.

Sorry, just how heavy do you think a bike in a cardboard box is? Are you seriously saying that lugging a cardboard box along a narrow hallway is the ‘primary’ reason for not buying off the internet? :roll:

PP
  • angrod
    is the S2 an alu bike nowadays? would tick all boxes tbh.

that and some cheap, good, not Hunt carbon wheels and its perfect for everything you need and its probably in your budget.

#S2?

I think it's a carbon frame. But looks good, I'll search for some more details on the bike.
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Sorry, just how heavy do you think a bike in a cardboard box is? Are you seriously saying that lugging a cardboard box along a narrow hallway is the ‘primary’ reason for not buying off the internet? :roll:

PP

The weight is not the problem. The corridor and the doors are pretty narrow, you can barely fit 1 person. Even with the carboard in the vertical position it'll be difficult I think. And I don't want to take the risk of damaging the bike ( although I imagine it's well protected ).

And it's the number 1 reason, not the only one. For a first bike, and with the little experience I have with bikes, it feels safer to buy it in a store, and to be able to see it in person.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I get the one bike reason, so you need to accept the compromises for having one bike.
    Won’t be as fast as a TT bike for when doing Tri’s. But with clip on bars, the correct gear (wheels, helmet, skin suit), that should be ok to begin with.
    For Crits, you don’t need aero. But at the same time it won’t slow you down either. Lots of bling raced at UK Cat 4 races....some crashes, but as you mention you will be insured, just expect downtime if the frame is damaged. No guarantee alu would hold out in the event of a crash either.
    I have raced on all sorts, as I’m pretty mentally fragile I prefer to race on what I determine is my fastest setup. This is an aero bike, light wheels, good grippy tyres and brakes set up exactly as I want them (cable length and pull being what I want if hard braking / cornering needed)
    In your position i would be asking the lbs about best deals available in your size on a Propel, TCR and Supersix. Propel will come with decent wheels in your price range, other you may need to have budget for.
    I purchased from Canyon for my last bike, delivery was fine as it was in stock, but to be honest I’ll go back to LBS for my next purchase. Niggle on the Aeroad that would have been rectified by the LBS if I’d have bought from them, have been Canyon asking me to return it or key parts. The brakes were not set up very well, easy for me to fix, but for a newbie possibly not so.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Angrod wrote:

PP

take bike out of box, take into flat, take box to re-cycling centre?

you'll need to get used to taking the bike in and out of the flat anyway.

#box

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • angrod
    w00dster wrote:
    In your position i would be asking the lbs about best deals available in your size on a Propel, TCR and Supersix. Propel will come with decent wheels in your price range, other you may need to have budget for.

Thanks for the helpful and detailed answer !
    I'm going to check some lbs tomorrow. The giant store also sells Merida bikes so it's perfect.
    As for the Supersix, I'll read some reviews on it since I don't really know what's the bike good / bad at.
    w00dster wrote:
    I purchased from Canyon for my last bike, delivery was fine as it was in stock, but to be honest I’ll go back to LBS for my next purchase. Niggle on the Aeroad that would have been rectified by the LBS if I’d have bought from them, have been Canyon asking me to return it or key parts. The brakes were not set up very well, easy for me to fix, but for a newbie possibly not so.

Yeah that's another point I don't like about online buying.
  • Matthewfalle
    red hook crit allez sprint.

infintessimily cool, aero(ish), ali.

stick SRAM Force on it and its perfect.

utterly cool.

buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it now

#buyit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • angrod
    red hook crit allez sprint.

I know it's a great bike, but I hate that you can see welds on a bike of this price.
  • Matthewfalle
    but its soooooo beautiful.

if you don't like welds, go for a caliper CAAD12 or new 13 in a couple of months.

buy it. buy it. buy it now.

#buyit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • angrod
    but its soooooo beautiful.

I agree, it looks very good. I find it stupid that those welds annoy me like that, but that's how it is.

Also I don't like the Caad geometry ( the top tube going upwards )
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • w00dster
    Actually good shout by MF on the Spec, awesome looking bike. Never seen any custom Sprints at UK races, fair few of the Comp models.
    The standard Spec allez sprint frame only also looks lush. The built up ones are a tad more boring.
    The CAAD is an excellent race bike. But, if going alu it would be the Spec sprint, built as light as possible.
    Personally I wouldn’t go with a Merida, but it’s personal choice. I had one a few years ago, no idea the model (wasn’t mine, was over in Germany and the army had them and rose bikes), but I found it dull and it’s put me off them....a bit like MF and Trek Madone, which I really enjoyed, but MF found dull as dishwater, personal choice.
    £3k will also get a very good Giant Propel, for me this is the bike that meets your criteria the most. Just confirm it can take clip on bars.
    I’d say that for your budget, you want to ensure the bike comes with decent wheels, otherwise it’s another £500 minimum to get some aero wheels. There is a performance gain for deep wheels, not so much for crits but for TT and Tri’s it’s noticable. 50mm or my preference is 60mm.
  • Matthewfalle
    w00dster wrote:
    Actually good shout by MF on the Spec, awesome looking bike. Never seen any custom Sprints at UK races, fair few of the Comp models.
    The standard Spec allez sprint frame only also looks lush. The built up ones are a tad more boring.
    The CAAD is an excellent race bike. But, if going alu it would be the Spec sprint, built as light as possible.
    Personally I wouldn’t go with a Merida, but it’s personal choice. I had one a few years ago, no idea the model (wasn’t mine, was over in Germany and the army had them and rose bikes), but I found it dull and it’s put me off them....a bit like MF and Trek Madone, which I really enjoyed, but MF found dull as dishwater, personal choice.
    £3k will also get a very good Giant Propel, for me this is the bike that meets your criteria the most. Just confirm it can take clip on bars.
    I’d say that for your budget, you want to ensure the bike comes with decent wheels, otherwise it’s another £500 minimum to get some aero wheels. There is a performance gain for deep wheels, not so much for crits but for TT and Tri’s it’s noticable. 50mm or my preference is 60mm.

all this, exactly.

very good points very well presented

#w00dstersepeakssense

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JP69
    JP69 Posts: 2
    Imposter wrote:

I'd wait on ordering an Aeroad, this frame has been around since 2014 & rumour has it that a new Aeroad is due out soon. Be very aware of Canyons awkward sizing as well as if you're used to riding a medium sized bike for example (54/56), Canyon will probably size you as a small. The problem with this is that you'll get 39cm bars with a 90mm stem combo (very narrow bar width & very short stem length) & Canyon will not allow you to change when ordering. You'll also get 170m crank arms when you're probably used to 172.5 - just things to consider.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JP69 wrote:
    I'd wait on ordering an Aeroad, this frame has been around since 2014 & rumour has it that a new Aeroad is due out soon.

There have been unsubstantiated internet rumours doing the rounds (on forums like this) for the last year or so. But the fact that a) Nothing concrete has been reported (ie no teams testing a new frame, no hints from Canyon, etc) and b) the fact that Canyon are still scheduling production of the current frameset well into next year (ie current February 2020 delivery, as mentioned earlier) might suggest that this is not going to be happening anytime soon. No need to bring out a new frameset when people are still happy to pay upfront and wait six months for the current one..

Manufacturers will usually use something like a grand tour to preview new stuff. I did actually think that Canyon would preview a new aeroad frame at the TdF, as was the rumour at the time. But they didn't. Nothing at the Vuelta either, so my guess (for what its worth) is that it won't happen until well into next year now. All of this means that they will probably launch a new one next week... :wink:
  • w00dster
    I bought my Aeroad last summer and there was strong rumours then about a new bike coming out.
    I’ve ridden Madone’s, Venge’s and the new System Six Hi Mod, the Aeroad in its existing form is really good value and not a slow bike. In fact I’d rate it above the System Six from a riding experience. A new one being released or not wouldn’t put me off buying. But the support would.
    Not that Canyon don’t help or are slow to respond. But it’s much more of a faff and paying the extra for LBS expertise is well worth it.

• that and some cheap, good, not Hunt carbon wheels and its perfect for everything you need and its probably in your budget.

#S2?

What sort of brands are better than hunt for less cash? Not trolling, genuinely interested as I’m after some 50s
  • Matthewfalle
    Carbonzone, Farsport, Wiggle's Prime, Selcof, Planet X .....

All use exctly the same spokes (Sapim), the same Novatec hubs and the same rims and are built in the same factory in China.

The last 3 have exactly the same customer service.

All are a lot, lot cheaper than Hunt.

With Hunt you pay for the marketing, the rest you pay for the wheel.

hth

#don'tbuyHunts.they'renotworthit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

All use exctly the same spokes (Sapim), the same Novatec hubs and the same rims and are built in the same factory in China.

hth

Some of their carbon range perhaps, but the Hunt aluminium wheels are supposed to be excellent value.
  • Matthewfalle
    in that case, buy a set of Aksiums, Cosmics, Kyseriums, SuperStar, Malcolm's stuff, the Edinburgh ones, Fulcrums, Planet X/Selcof, Primes, etc, etc.

#don'tfeedthehype

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    redvision wrote:

hth

All of their carbon range yes, but the Hunt aluminium wheels are supposed to be excellent value.

ftfy - hope you don't mind

#hopethatsok

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.