Giant TCR size

jbams
jbams Posts: 8
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
(Did try the search function, Didn't see an answer. Please redirect me if I've overlooked)

So I'm about to buy a giant advanced pro 2 (2019, 1399 euro). But the sizing puzzles me.

I'm 186 cm with 90 inseam, I'm not very flexible.

Here's my puzzle;
The M/L has 398 reach with 562 stack
The L has 402 reach (so almost similar) but 581 stack. In my logic, that means that saddle to handle bar would in practise be shorter on the L?
(I would put the saddle on same height on both obviously).

They have same stem lenght, only real difference seems that with the L, the saddle is a bit further back (longer top tube but almost same reach), and the handle bars are a bit higher.

Am i missing something? Any advise?

Comments

• If you're not very flexible, nether size may feel good in the short term, but the large has a slightly less aggressive position.

I'm 178cm (with torso more usual for someone ~183cm) with a history of lower back issues since 2008, my Cube https://www.cube.eu/en/2016/road-race/a ... hred-2016/ is the 58cm, with 388mm reach and 610mm stack.

As much as a bike with less stack would make me more aero, I'm still not convinced that my lower back would cope with a stack of 591mm on the 56cm variants, because I usually ride with at least 20mm of spacers (plus the conical spacer) under the stem (i.e. at least ~650mm of effective stack to the bar tops).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Remember that a 58 in Cube is a 56 in other brands, though. Not sure why.
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    You are right. If you keep the same saddle position and the same stem, size L is more relax.
  • jbams
    If you're not very flexible, nether size may feel good in the short term, but the large has a slightly less aggressive position.

I'm 178cm (with torso more usual for someone ~183cm) with a history of lower back issues since 2008, my Cube https://www.cube.eu/en/2016/road-race/a ... hred-2016/ is the 58cm, with 388mm reach and 610mm stack.

As much as a bike with less stack would make me more aero, I'm still not convinced that my lower back would cope with a stack of 591mm on the 56cm variants, because I usually ride with at least 20mm of spacers (plus the conical spacer) under the stem (i.e. at least ~650mm of effective stack to the bar tops).

I have the same Cube (other model but same geometry) in size 60..which has 629 stack. This 629 seems to be including the spacers though, i've removed mine and now the stack is about 600 (meassured by hand), with the 392 reach. I can ride in the drops for over an hours so i think I can manage a lower stack, not sure how much lower.
  • guidodg
    guidodg Posts: 10
    I am 178cm with 87cm inseam and ride an ML ....you are undoubtedly an L
  • jbams
    Thanks all. Did a testride on the L and the size seems fine. The bike itself didn't feel great though. So back to the drawing board.