Considering a Whyte 805 but...

Fatalist88
Fatalist88 Posts: 5
edited August 2019 in MTB buying advice
Ive had a 2013 Hardrock for the past few years and I'm hankering to upgrade - I've decided I *really* want a Whyte Bike, great reviews, looks stunning and seem to be a fair price.

Looking to get an 805, but could equally be persuaded to go up to the 901. My only concern is that I do ride occasionally along canal paths and a bit of countryside road cycling (just for fitness as opposed to pleasure) - other than that I'm all about hitting the trails which the bike looks great for and the reviews suggest.

So, my question would the bike be suitable? Should I be looking at an XC bike? Any other hardtails to consider? My main reason for my uncertainty would be the amount of slack up front.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    What on earth do you mean by the amout of slack up front.

As for an alternative a Sonder Transmitter nx eagle which is £1200 but there is a 15% discount this weekend, it's a more playfull bike than the Whyte.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both are Trail bikes with, as you note (though dubiously express), pretty slack (64.5) head angles.

The 805 and 901 though are not as directly equatable as first glance suggests, the 805 is a fair bit lighter (nearly 1kg) and would probably perform the XC role better than the 901 which is much more trail biased with its 4 pot brakes and Dropper post (which probably accounts for near half the weight difference if you would add one to the 805). On paper though the 901 is well worth the extra £400 asking price but only if you would use the extra fork ability, brakes and need a dropper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.