105 R7000 - Rear Mech Multi-shifting Issue

damagedroid
damagedroid Posts: 11
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hello guys,

First post here - I’m still farley new to servicing the bike but have been trying to work my way through the whole build.

I have just encountered a rear mech problem:

When I try to perform a multi-shift, from the highest gear (the smallest cog) to the 4th cog, the rear mech failed to do so and instead, it only reached the 3rd cog (1-3, 2 jumps).

Upon examination, I can see if I keep pressing the lever, the gear could actually go from the smallest cog to the 4th one, and managed to keep the chain there. However, as long as I let go of the lever, the rear mech would shift the chain back to the 3rd gear.

Is this a matter of cable tension? As in, do I need to re-index the gear for the 4th cog?

All other gears are working fine - 1 shifts up and down, multi-shifts 2 or 3 gears up and down are all good with each cog.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks guys!

Comments

• Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    look at the parktool site, they have a really good video which describes how to set the derailleur and whats happening.

They also have a bit on fault finding and rectification. Once youve got your head around it youll think it a very simple system indeed.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Can you multi shift with Shimano. All my bikes have one or other of their group sets and I don’t think I have ever even tried to multi shift. I just rapidly click if I want to move four sprockets I just click 4 times.
    Have I been missing a trick.
  • Still using 105 5800 drivetrain here, but from memory, I'm limited to upshifting to one or two bigger sprockets per lever swipe. I don't think moving up three sprockets in a swipe is possible, I shall try and remember to check tomorrow and report back!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My R7000 mech/shifters will happily shift 3 sprockets but not anymore.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hi guys, many thanks for your reply. Yes, I can confirm that I'm able to perform multi-shift with R7000 groupset, but that only applies to upshifting (from a smaller cog to a bigger cog). It works across all different upshifting gears, so if I push the lever all the way down, I'm able to jump 3 sprockets up.
  • look at the parktool site, they have a really good video which describes how to set the derailleur and whats happening.

They also have a bit on fault finding and rectification. Once youve got your head around it youll think it a very simple system indeed.

I'll go through that and the Big Blue Book again :) Haven't seen a section that is dedicated to solve multi-shifting issues so I suppose if I index the gear again that could potentially sort out the problem..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shimano tech docs only shows a 2 sprocket jump, eg from 3 to 5, with the full throw of the lever, same as my ageing 5600.

I think you're expecting too much.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Shimano tech docs only shows a 2 sprocket jump, eg from 3 to 5, with the full throw of the lever, same as my ageing 5600.

I think you're expecting too much.

I read that bit in the dealer's manual as well. The strange thing is, 3 gear jump worked on my friend's bike with R7020, and my newly purchased bike with R7000 (set up by my local's mechanic who also confirmed that such operation exists).

One more thing that led me to believe this is possible is the ''click'' I get when pressing down the lever. I get 3 clicks if going all the way down.

On top all these, I must admit I'm fairly new to bike mechanics, perhaps I was wrong? Can someone who owns the same groupset (or even Ultegra R8000 since they are almost identical?) shed some light on this?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So you think you should be able to jump from eg 3-6?

(I'm using Shimano's numbering here, where 1 is the smallest sprocket. In my mind 1 is 1st gear, ie the easiest, as in a car. So 1 is the largest sprocket, but what do I know...?)
  • keef66 wrote:

(I'm using Shimano's numbering here, where 1 is the smallest sprocket. In my mind 1 is 1st gear, ie the easiest, as in a car. So 1 is the largest sprocket, but what do I know...?)

That numbering makes sense, my first post might be a bit misleading as I wasn't sure which sprocket is the No. 1.

But no, not 3-6. 3 jumps is what I was expecting (or hoping at least); however, in this case, what I meant would be downshifting, like 6-3 as SHIMANO multi-shifting only works for jumping from a harder gear to an easier gear and you can't do so with upshifting. I actually just read it somewhere, perhaps in the Big Blue Book; I will post an excerpt if I came across it again later.

To clarify, the jumps I can do at the moment are combos like 10-7, 9-6, all the up to 4-1, but not ''11-8'' which is what I'm hoping to resolve.
  • keef66 wrote:

That numbering makes sense, my first post might be a bit misleading as I wasn't sure which sprocket is the No. 1.

But no, not 3-6. 3 jumps is what I was expecting (or hoping at least); however, in this case, what I meant would be downshifting, like 6-3 as SHIMANO multi-shifting only works for jumping from a harder gear to an easier gear and you can't do so with upshifting. I actually just read it somewhere, perhaps in the Big Blue Book; I will post an excerpt if I came across it again later.

To clarify, the jumps I can do at the moment are combos like 10-7, 9-6, all the up to 4-1, but not ''11-8'' which is what I'm hoping to resolve.
    Is only being able to shift 11-9 a deal breaker. Is it ruining your ride?
  • keef66 wrote:

Is only being able to shift 11-9 a deal breaker. Is it ruining your ride?

No, it certainly doesn't, and I see your point here. That said, I just want to understand how this thing works as I would love to learn to service my bike properly.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i've just sent an MF to the garage for you and he reports that brand new ultegra 8000 with brand new cables perfectly set up allows an upwards shift of 3 - ie 6-9, 3-6, whatever.

HTH

#mechanics
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    If you do 3 individual shifts does it work OK?
    Sometimes mine almost makes the shift but I have to nudge it with another swipe but not a full click. I've put this down to it needing a clean/new cable.

Also check the bolt from the mech to the hanger is tight.
  • If you do 3 individual shifts does it work OK?
    Sometimes mine almost makes the shift but I have to nudge it with another swipe but not a full click. I've put this down to it needing a clean/new cable.

Also check the bolt from the mech to the hanger is tight.

Hey, yes individual shifts work alright; what you experienced is similar to what I got for the 8th gear. I will check the cables again - thanks for the advice!
  • 1/4 turn on the cable adjuster. job jobbed.
  • With the R7000/8000 you can move up to three gears lower e.g. 17t to 23t missing out the intervening 19t/21t sprockets, but you will only be able to release a single gear at a time when moving to a higher gear, each shift requiring a movement of the lever which releases the tension on the rear mech cable by a preset amount, moving the rear mech back across the cassette towards the highest (smallest) gear one sprocket at a time.
  • Thanks for the insight guys, really appreciate the tips!