Wow Im lucky!

mtimmy98
mtimmy98 Posts: 2
edited August 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

Long long time lurker here, finally looking for some advice.

I'm finally not poor anymore, and looking to get a new (used) bike.

I have narrowed it down to one of three bikes, I have read all the reviews, and realize there is not much between them and I would probably be happy with any one, but just want some info from anyone who has tried one or more?

My cycling profile;
I have a Cube Stereo HPC 140 which I use in the UK mainly for XC and trails, sometimes up North or in Wales. (Mainly to keep me as fit as possible for my yearly trips.
2x per year I go to Switzerland, Italy or France to an alpine area, and do 7 days of Enduro.
My perfect day would be to take a lift up 1 or 2 stations, then climb up and or across for 4-5 hours and then descend all the way home for 1 hour. (Happy to carry up for sections if needs be)
I know these bikes are not ideal for climbing, but I love coming down enough to sacrifice a bit on the way up. It will be one of these three.

1) YT Capra CF Pro Race 29er 2018
2) Santa Cruz Nomad Mk4 (Carbon - Tan with Air shock) (27.5 only?)
3) Canyon torque CF 9.0 29er

Capra
Love the color, and its my favorite one, I just worry that it might be a real struggle to pedal uphill.

Santa Cruz

Least logical one, but I like the colour and look second most. Also think its probably in the middle for climbing performance.

Canyon
Best allrounder? Just not sold on the looks...

Some pictures to get you in the mood!
ZKe7N7p.jpg

e6Aj2FZ.jpg

HtzNpKq.jpg

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Capra got my vote. I bought the Capra rather than other bikes at the time in that category because it got many five star reviews. I was worried about the climbing ability. The wheel dia was bigger than my 26er, the gearing was worse, and the cranks were shorter. I took the Capra to a climb I knew well and it went up there very much easier than my 26er!

OK, one test is not scientifically significant, because I may just have been having a good day. But subsequently I never felt that I was suffering on the climbs. I believe that I had under estimated the reduced rolling resistance of the larger wheels and the steeper seat angle. Don't forget that the bike was designed as an Enduro bike and they have to be good at climbing!

PS: Have you checked out the geometry? All bikes have differences and one maker's Large may fit you well, but another's may not. If you can't ride one before purchase then I urge you to compare things like reach and stack vs a bike that you know will fit you.