New Winter Frame

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I have a Kinesis T2 which I feel, at a 57, is a tad too big for me.

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap frame swap out. I'd try a Kinesis T2 in a 54 but the frames are no longer available so I was looking for alternatives. I could get a T3 but by the time I'd add in a new fork the costs are beginning to spiral upwards.

So what else is out there?

I've seen the Dolan Prefissio, which is great value, and looking at the charts, I think a 54 would suit. I'm just not sure if it's going to be exactly what I'm looking for. I think the T2 is a bit dull to ride, but maybe that's a factor of the frame being a little on the large side.
I'd simply be swapping everything over from the Kinesis to a new frame.

I have a hankering after steel, but I don't think there's anything in around the £250-300 mark.

The bike will be used as a winter bike with perhaps the occasional audax thrown in. Mudguard mounts required.

Thanks,
D

Comments

• The Dolan frames are bomb proof but very uncomfortable . Try a Genesis Equilibrium , hopefully on offer somewhere . I swapped to this and is decent steel with smooth ride. paid 275 new off ebay. Moda frames might be worth a look
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    London Road?

#planetx
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Ebay has T3 for 270 from SDJ sports , I have used them once no problem , they also sell via Amazon
  • Thanks guys - appreciate the thoughts and comments....
    London Road?

#planetx

Needs to be rim braked - swap out of existing brakes, wheelset etc.
    The Dolan frames are bomb proof but very uncomfortable .

I was looking specifically at the new Prefissio with the longer reach brakes etc. Is it harsh / uncomfortable?
    Try a Genesis Equilibrium , hopefully on offer somewhere . I swapped to this and is decent steel with smooth ride. paid 275 new off ebay. Moda frames might be worth a look
    Only Moda I could see was the Nocturne (Ti), so doesn't quite fit within the lower budget....
  • Bondurant wrote:
    Yes, it does look to be in good nick, but no postage available. :(
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Hi,
    I have a Kinesis T2 which I feel, at a 57, is a tad too big for me.

I'm looking for a reasonably cheap frame swap out. I'd try a Kinesis T2 in a 54 but the frames are no longer available so I was looking for alternatives. I could get a T3 but by the time I'd add in a new fork the costs are beginning to spiral upwards.

So what else is out there?

I've seen the Dolan Prefissio, which is great value, and looking at the charts, I think a 54 would suit. I'm just not sure if it's going to be exactly what I'm looking for. I think the T2 is a bit dull to ride, but maybe that's a factor of the frame being a little on the large side.
    I'd simply be swapping everything over from the Kinesis to a new frame.

I have a hankering after steel, but I don't think there's anything in around the £250-300 mark.

The bike will be used as a winter bike with perhaps the occasional audax thrown in. Mudguard mounts required.

Thanks,
    D

Tifosi CK7 is another option to consider, but I doubt if it will be much less dull than any other cheap alu frame.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tifosi-CK7-Frameset_120775.htm

However, if you can stretch to £494 then the Dolan Dual is a superb wet weather frameset: really smooth and fun to ride.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-f ... meset.html
  • The Dolan Dual is great , as are most Dolan frames , just the cheap alu winter frame is a bit dated and harsh, as are other basic alu stuff from other places. Clearly carbon frame is a bit dearer.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Dolan Dual is great , as are most Dolan frames , just the cheap alu winter frame is a bit dated and harsh, as are other basic alu stuff from other places. Clearly carbon frame is a bit dearer.
    To be fair, Dolan released a new version of the Prefessio this year which requires long drop brake calipers and has room for 28s under guards, but I don't know if the ride is any better than the old one.
  • bobones wrote:
    The Dolan Dual is great , as are most Dolan frames , just the cheap alu winter frame is a bit dated and harsh, as are other basic alu stuff from other places. Clearly carbon frame is a bit dearer.
    To be fair, Dolan released a new version of the Prefessio this year which requires long drop brake calipers and has room for 28s under guards, but I don't know if the ride is any better than the old one.

Yes Bob, it was one of the threads that you were active in that directed me to the Dolan site to look at the Dual. It was there I also saw the new Prefissio and started this thread. The comment about them being harsh to ride has put me off a little, and I can't seem to find any reviews of the newer version.

PTW,
    After one of your earlier posts, I'm now looking around for an Equilibrium at decent money - we'll see what comes of it...
    They are all second hand though on eBay and the only new ones I see on the bay are the disc version..

Thanks guys.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Get a Kinesis 4S Disk frame (you can fit disk or rim brakes) and steal all the parts from your old bike - voila!

I bought the shocking pink frame earlier this year to use as my commuter and winter training bike - absolutely love it
  • AberdeenAl wrote:
    Get a Kinesis 4S Disk frame (you can fit disk or rim brakes) and steal all the parts from your old bike - voila!

I bought the shocking pink frame earlier this year to use as my commuter and winter training bike - absolutely love it

Just a little outside the budget Al, and considering I already have a T2 I'm not that sure it's going to be a major change, at least not much more than the T2 that Bondurant pointed out - thanks for the pointer though...
  • Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Just picked up a second hand Kinesis 4S non disc frameset on the bay....

Happy days.