Santini VS Sportful VS Assos

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
I've been a Santini and Sportful bib user, mostly Santini Mago shorts and Sportful Bodyfit Pros shorts and pants.

I've weared almost all my stuff well so I'm now with only a pair of shorts and another of pants from Sportful, so in the market for shorts.

Its been a while now that some of the people I know swear by Assos, and I was looking into the T.Equipe Evo bibshorts. Everywhere I look they end to cost about 1/3 more than Sportfuls and Santinis so I ask the ones who really have the experience what they think about of this price difference.

Thanks!

Comments

• stebbo99
    stebbo99 Posts: 14
    Assos are expensive and comfortable, but I have found over the years they tend to last longer. You can easily make the case that is part of the premium price.

However I also like the Santini and Castelli products too. Its difficult to really give advice about something that is so personal.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Assos is good but only you can decide if it's worth the extra. Santini and Sportful are and have been used in the pro peleton for years so they must be right for that reason. More realistically priced as well. they all tear up if you hit the deck
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Assos also do free crash repair if that helps.

#i'vebrokenthisone
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have worn Assos for years. However the missus got a couple of pairs of bib shorts with the pad that’s only attached at the front and back and I’m now tempted to look at other brands.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    I’ve used Assos for 7 years ( bibs, long sleeve jerseys and jacket) and had a couple of pairs of Rapha bib shorts, Pro team and classic and I’m going back to Assos.

The technical aspects, build quality and longevity of Assos kit is the best I’ve used. Rapha are good but Assos are better in terms of comfort for longer.

Alternatively I’ve found Gore bikewear has good comfort and build quality that lasts for years.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • naavt
    Webboo wrote:
    I have worn Assos for years. However the missus got a couple of pairs of bib shorts with the pad that’s only attached at the front and back and I’m now tempted to look at other brands.

Why’s that? Do you feel that the new floating chamois tech from Assos doesn’t work?
  • Have you considered Le Col? I managed to grab a pair of their shorts in the sale with a further reduction from a Strava challenge - blown away by the quality and will hopefully be getting a couple more pairs.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    naavt wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Why’s that? Do you feel that the new floating chamois tech from Assos doesn’t work?
    It seems to pucker up at the sides and cause chaffing. It works ok if you are stopping a fair bit on your ride so can adjust your dress. But if you tend to go out for 4 or 5 hours only stopping for a pee they are not as good as the old ones with green pad.
  • naavt
    Have you considered Le Col? I managed to grab a pair of their shorts in the sale with a further reduction from a Strava challenge - blown away by the quality and will hopefully be getting a couple more pairs.

No but now that you've mentioned it I'm going to look at them and see. Thanks!
  • naavt
    Assos also do free crash repair if that helps.

#i'vebrokenthisone

Didn't know that. We all hope we don't need it but it's good to know!
  • naavt
    Webboo wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

It seems to pucker up at the sides and cause chaffing. It works ok if you are stopping a fair bit on your ride so can adjust your dress. But if you tend to go out for 4 or 5 hours only stopping for a pee they are not as good as the old ones with green pad.

Thanks for sharing. That's a bummer!
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Webboo wrote:
    naavt wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

I don't get along with Assos either, the pad seems to fold and wedge right up my... Anyway, I've found Castelli and Sportful to be comfortable too over the years but tried a pair of Lusso RS19 Bibshorts and was very impressed with the quality and pad comfort (9 hour pad apparently). They even offered to adjust the leg length and straps, if they weren't to my choosing!
  • Assos shorts user for years, they just keep on going and are super comfy, not a massive fan of there upper garments, Castelli superior in that department.
    Trek emonda sl6 pro 2019
    wilier izoard 2011
    canyon grail 7.0 al 2019
    Cannondale caad 12 2018
    Dolan professio2018
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    Quality of Assos in recent years has gone downhill in my opinion.
    My new favourite brand is Velocio, top quality,comfortable and customer service second to none.