Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Changing gearing setup for mtbs for bikepacking

trevstonburytrevstonbury Posts: 6
edited August 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit of advice. I am slowly looking to setup 2 Whyte mtb's so they can be used for bikepacking. They are entry level bikes (see links below). Currently I am looking to improve the gearing setup for weight and reliability . I wanted to know if 1x11 ratio would provide enough gears for bikepacking, meaning less moving parts and more reliability, just wanted your opinion on which parts your would recommend based on the following specs. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Bike spec’s as follows
Whyte 604 2017
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/368305/p ... -blue.aspx

Whyte 605 2017
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/368306/p ... range.aspx

Kind regards

Trevor

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,825
    Firstly depends on what kind of terrain your intending bike packing on, and also how much gear you intend carrying.
    Personally the forks are pretty much pointless i suspect given you will possibly doing panniers etc. The gearing is pretty bombproof and i personally wouldn't alter it as going to a 1x11 setup would mean big jumps in between changes which is not ideal if grinding up a hill fully loaded. The 3x9 set up i suspect would last longer than a 1x11 as its various components are heavier and thicker. I personally prefer rim brakes, but i would prefer hydraulic disc over cable for reliability. Suspect the biggest weight losses you could get would be with better wheel and tyres than the usual stock ones. Hope this helps you out a bit.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • adminwprr8obyadminwprr8oby Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    Hi,
    Agree with oxoman about the terrains. I stumpled upon this comprehensive guide to bikepacking that might be useful in your case. Hope you find, what you are looking for!
  • JBAJBA Posts: 2,706
    Just try the bikes as they are on a short one-night bike packing trip and then decide what, if anything need changing. Maybe consider swapping the cassettes for 11-36 to help on longer, steeper hills.

I went on my first bike packing trip a couple of weeks ago. I was on my 1x11 hardtail* and my mate on a 2x10 hardtail**. We did just over 100 miles over 2 days and neither of us had any problems with gearing.

* 32T chainring & 11-42 cassette.
    ** 22/36T chainrings & 11-36 cassette.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Bird Zero Mk1 ¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009