La Vuelta build up

Comments

• red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,078
    I just compiled the PTP thread, but will only post it on Wednesday so it doesn't get lost in the mix.
    Anyway, here are the stage profiles. There's a distinct lack of hockey sticks this year, although there are quite a few saw blades

The Stages
    Stage 1 -- TTT -- Saturday, August 24, 2019 -- Salinas de Torrevieja > Torrevieja -- 13.4 km
    stage-1-profile.jpg?02

Stage 2 -- Hilly -- Sunday, August 25, 2019 -- Benidorm > Calpe -- 199.6 km
    stage-2-profile.jpg?02

Stage 3 -- Flat -- Monday, August 26, 2019 -- Ibi. Ciudad del Juguete > Alicante -- 188 km
    stage-3-profile.jpg?02

Stage 4 -- Flat -- Tuesday, August 27, 2019 -- Cullera > El Puig -- 175.5 km
    stage-4-profile.jpg?02

Stage 5 -- Hilly -- Wednesday, August 28, 2019 -- L' Eliana > Observatorio Astrofísico de Javalambre -- 170.7 km
    stage-5-profile.jpg?02

Stage 6 -- Hilly -- Thursday, August 29, 2019 -- Mora de Rubielos > Ares del Maestrat -- 198.9 km
    stage-6-profile.jpg?02

Stage 7 -- Mountain -- Friday, August 30, 2019 -- Onda > Mas de la Costa -- 183.2 km
    stage-7-profile.jpg?02

Stage 8 -- Hilly -- Saturday, August 31, 2019 -- Valls > Igualada -- 166.9 km
    stage-8-profile.jpg?02

Stage 9 -- Mountain -- Sunday, September 1, 2019 -- Andorra la Vella > Cortals d'Encamp -- 94.4 km
    stage-9-profile.jpg?02

Rest day -- Monday, September 2, 2019 -- Pau

Stage 10 -- ITT -- Tuesday, September 3, 2019 -- Jurançon > Pau -- 36.2 km
    stage-10-profile.jpg?02

Stage 11 -- Mountain -- Wednesday, September 4, 2019 -- Saint Palais > Urdax-Dantxarinea -- 180 km
    stage-11-profile.jpg?02

Stage 12 -- Mountain -- Thursday, September 5, 2019 -- Circuito de Navarra > Bilbao -- 171.4 km
    stage-12-profile.jpg?02

Stage 13 -- Mountain -- Friday, September 6, 2019 -- Bilbao > Los Machucos. Monumento Vaca Pasiega -- 166.4 km
    stage-13-profile.jpg?02

Stage 14 -- Flat -- Saturday, September 7, 2019 -- San Vicente de la Barquera > Oviedo -- 188 km
    stage-14-profile.jpg?02

Stage 15 -- Mountain -- Sunday, September 8, 2019 -- Tineo > Santuario del Acebo -- 154.4 km
    stage-15-profile.jpg?02

Stage 16 -- Mountain -- Monday, September 9, 2019 -- Pravia > Alto de La Cubilla. Lena -- 144.4 km
    stage-16-profile.jpg?02

Rest day -- Tuesday, September 10, 2019 -- Burgos

Stage 17 -- Flat -- Wednesday, September 11, 2019 -- Aranda de Duero > Guadalajara -- 219.6 km
    stage-17-profile.jpg?02

Stage 18 -- Mountain -- Thursday, September 12, 2019 -- Comunidad de Madrid. Colmenar Viejo > Becerril de la Sierra -- 177.5 km
    stage-18-profile.jpg?02

Stage 19 -- Flat -- Friday, September 13, 2019 -- Ávila > Toledo -- 165.2 km
    stage-19-profile.jpg?02

Stage 20 -- Mountain -- Saturday, September 14, 2019 -- Arenas de San Pedro > Plataforma de Gredos -- 190.4 km
    stage-20-profile.jpg?02

Stage 21 -- Flat -- Sunday, September 15, 2019 -- Fuenlabrada > Madrid -- 106.6 km
    stage-21-profile.jpg?02
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Only 2 Esp cat climbs (the second doesn't look that difficult when looking at the bare numbers with 600m of ascent in 7km) and one peak over 2000m seems quite tame for the Vuelta. Lots of lumpy stages though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    This stage looks like potential chaos to me. They are essentially going over two mountains, then doing a little loop and going back over them in the opposite direction.

Is the loop long enough for the break not to collide with the gruppetto?
    What do the fans do? Are there going to be huge numbers of fans on the descents?

stage-18-profile.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Is Cavendish riding?
    No
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Is Cavendish riding?
    No

Any reason beyond the usual it's too hot? If he wants to return to proper racing he needs to return to proper racing.
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Is Cavendish riding?
    No

Any reason beyond the usual it's too hot? If he wants to return to proper racing he needs to return to proper racing.
    I guess because there's not much there after stage 4 for an out of form sprinter. Better off looking elsewhere to get back into it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    So who on the start list is actually targeting this race as a priority rather than doing it either as prep for something else, trying to salvage a bad season (either by performance or injury) or doing it because they have to?
  • RichN95.
    So who on the start list is actually targeting this race as a priority rather than doing it either as prep for something else, trying to salvage a bad season (either by performance or injury) or doing it because they have to?
    The ones who did the Giro and not the Tour I guess. Roglic and Lopez. Maybe Carapaz. Plus youngsters like Pogacar and maybe Sosa.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. It’s hard to tell (and a problem with the race).

You’d have to put carapaz as the favourite surely.
  • rick_chasey
    For those who are interested in the classics, worth keeping an eye on the flat classics riders who have a crash free Vuelta with the odd flurry of interest as they often do well going into next season. Usually quit after 2-2.5 weeks.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    This stage looks like potential chaos to me. They are essentially going over two mountains, then doing a little loop and going back over them in the opposite direction.

What do the fans do? Are there going to be huge numbers of fans on the descents?

stage-18-profile.jpg

Seems to be a loop of around 20k so around 30 minutes riding time. They should be OK. Good point about spectators on the descents although you don't get particularly big crowds mid stage at the Vuelta though (first descent / final climb might be an issue though).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    RichN95 wrote:
    The ones who did the Giro and not the Tour I guess. Roglic and Lopez. Maybe Carapaz. Plus youngsters like Pogacar and maybe Sosa.
    Give it up, Rich, he won't be on the start line.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2019
    ECW2MijXsAEcjyf.jpg

ECW2eJfXYAAMjAs.jpg

ECW16akXkAAiplS.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95 wrote:

stage-18-profile.jpg

The longest Links Rechts ever...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Pross wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

stage-18-profile.jpg

Seems to be a loop of around 20k so around 30 minutes riding time. They should be OK. Good point about spectators on the descents although you don't get particularly big crowds mid stage at the Vuelta though (first descent / final climb might be an issue though).

It took me bloody ages to work out what was going on there. Should have got a Belgian to draw the map.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Seems like a rather low amount of TT km's.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Ineos:
    Tao GH
    Wout Poels
    Owain Doull
    Kenny Elissonde
    Sebastian Henao
    Vasil Kiryienka
    Salvatore Puccio
    Ian Stannard
  • Pross
    r0bh wrote:
    Ineos:
    Tao GH
    Wout Poels
    Owain Doull
    Kenny Elissonde
    Sebastian Henao
    Vasil Kiryienka
    Salvatore Puccio
    Ian Stannard

Possibly the weakest GC squad they've put out since Sky's debut season although Poels could be an outside bet. Then again I'm not quite sure yet what TGH is capable of and he has already surprised me a few times with his results.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Possibly the weakest GC squad they've put out since Sky's debut season although Poels could be an outside bet. Then again I'm not quite sure yet what TGH is capable of and he has already surprised me a few times with his results.
    My counter offer is 'the one where Cataldo was leader'. The 2014 Giro as it turns out

191 CATALDO Dario
    192 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
    193 DEIGNAN Philip
    194 EISEL Bernhard
    195 HENAO Sebastián
    196 SUTTON Chris
    197 PUCCIO Salvatore
    198 SIUTSOU Kanstantsin
    199 SWIFT Ben

They got a second and third on stages. Henao was 22nd
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Looking forward to seeing how Tao goes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    Pross wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Ineos:
    Tao GH
    Wout Poels
    Owain Doull
    Kenny Elissonde
    Sebastian Henao
    Vasil Kiryienka
    Salvatore Puccio
    Ian Stannard

The Giro squad this season was weaker. Poels was 6th in the Veulta in 2017, despite working for Froome all race. He's out of contract too, and rumoured to be Sunweb bound, so a decent showing here will increase his value.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:

The Giro squad this season was weaker. Poels was 6th in the Veulta in 2017, despite working for Froome all race. He's out of contract too, and rumoured to be Sunweb bound, so a decent showing here will increase his value.
    Whatever he's doing he will have signed the contract by now
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Roglic and Carapaz seem the standouts. Both have pedigree and excellent teams behind them.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Seems like a rather low amount of TT km's.

Good :D
  • Pross
    andyp wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    r0bh wrote:
    Ineos:
    Tao GH
    Wout Poels
    Owain Doull
    Kenny Elissonde
    Sebastian Henao
    Vasil Kiryienka
    Salvatore Puccio
    Ian Stannard

The Giro squad was due to Bernal's late withdrawal though and still had two of the future hopes in it. Poels doesn't seem to like being a GT leader but I'm certainly interested to see how Tao gets on.
  • rick_chasey
    Who's got Hugh Carthy down for another top 10?
  • RichN95.
    Who's got Hugh Carthy down for another top 10?
    "Another" suggests that there's been a previous top 10
  • rick_chasey
    Fair.

In my mind he was top 10 in the Giro.

(He was 11th)
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Give it a few years and he'll have been bumped into the top ten.
  • andyp
    Fair.

In my mind he was top 10 in the Giro.

(He was 11th)

He was ever present in the final week of the Giro, which was impressive. That one bad day in the second week cost him a top ten placing.