Tarmac vs Roubaix

espon123
espon123 Posts: 5
edited August 2019 in Road buying advice
Dear BikeRadar,

I'm looking for buying my first proper road bike.

I'm 1.90m and 83 kg living in Belgium, riding mostly asphalt/pavement roads, no cobblestones routes just maybe a few hunderd meters to get where I need to be.

I was looking for an ulterga bike that was light, ''feels fast'' and has some comfort.
After looking for a while I found the Tarmac Disc Comp and Roubaix Comp from Specialized.

Last week I went to the bike dealer and he told me as I'm not doing any rough routes, the tarmac would be a better buy.

He also told me the tarmac is more an allround bike while the roubaix is made for endurance, feels less fast then the tarmac.

While he also sells BMC and Cannondale, he told me that in the tarmac category there is no real difference between the brands and suggested me to go with the tarmac.

I would like to ride both to test them but can't seem to find a dealer that has these in my frame size.

Do you guys recommend the Tarmac Disc Comp or is there a better bike in the same price range?

Will the Tarmac fill my needs or should I go for an other road bike?

Greetings from Belgium,

Roubaix https://www.specialized.com/be/nl/roubaix-comp/p/170244?color=263087-170244

Tarmac https://www.specialized.com/be/nl/mens-tarmac-disc-comp/p/154557

Comments

• david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Very pleased with my Trek Emonda SL6 disc, worth a look.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The dealer seems like he's talking sense. Worth listening to. There's very little to choose between bikes at that level, apart from aesthetic issues like style and colour...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd go tarmac for your needs. Have fun.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Tarmac for sure, it's a lighter bike and will be more fun to ride on the kind of loops you do.
    It'll also happily do long distance miles and has no propitiatory nonsense like the Roubaix's Future Shock which has been recalled in the past may may be tricky to get parts for in the future.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I’ve had both a 2016 Tarmac Comp and a 2018 Roubaix Expert. I’d say get the disc Tarmac every time. My Tarmac was comfortable, fast and agile. The Roubaix is also very good but is heavier and not as much fun.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Tarmac looks a lot nicer and is lighter, for that reason it gets my vote
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    I’ve had both bikes which are excellent although personally it’s the Tarmac every time.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Never ridden a Rouxbaix but I love my Tarmac.
    Fast, agile and super comfortable
  • Dear Espon123,
    I got a Tarmac Disc late last year and really like it.
    First off it’s a very comfortable bike but it’s also very quick too. It will do everything very very capably. I have found it to climb really well in particular. I agree with the comments of others re comfort, agility and speed.
    I’ve ridden it on all sorts of roads, currently in the Alps at the moment. Just been up Col de la Madeleine today on it and the descending was great too : - ) I think you’ll have much more fun on a Tarmac.
    I got mine in the very end of season sales with an extra 10% off. Just a thought re you - know that you’re in Belgium, but these are the sorts of prices in the UK. I looked at Evans Cycles as have multiple stores in the South East which might be worth a trip across the Channel- no idea what your prices are like in Belgium. ( The Euro is v strong against the pound too at the moment ! Best wishes.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV337940
  • I tested the Tarmac disc at a Specialized Concept Store, gave it a proper wringing out with their Friday evening ride group for about 100k, and was SUPER impressed by it. I especially liked the stock saddle and the shifting. The only issue I had, and it was probably just because I wasn't able to fine tune it, is that the reach to the drops was tiny bit long. It's not really a snappy race bike but it was great on the rolling ride around Gothenburg, very stable and confidence inspiring in a brisk double paceline. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, frankly. (BTW I paid for the test, just 20 euros, but I would have been critical if there was anything to substantial to criticize.)
  • HI.
    I hope this is relevant as I have owned three Tarmacs and three Roubaix in the past 6 years (I know, I know ).
    My 2019 Roubaix is by far the most comfortable which I expected, but the genuine surprise is that it is also the fastest everywhere.
    If I was only ever 'carving ' down a set of hairpins then perhaps the Tarmac would be more fun, but in my experience even then, throw in a (dry) manhole cover or rough bit of road surface and the roubaix is quicker.
    Personally, I'd rent a Tarmac for a weekend but buy a roubaix.
    As per previous posts though, try both if you can because your opinion matters more.
    The best thing about this is that either will be great.
    Enjoy!
  • BMXboy10 wrote:
    I’ve had both a 2016 Tarmac Comp and a 2018 Roubaix Expert. I’d say get the disc Tarmac every time. My Tarmac was comfortable, fast and agile. The Roubaix is also very good but is heavier and not as much fun.

How was comfort between the two?
  • Slowmart wrote:
    I’ve had both bikes which are excellent although personally it’s the Tarmac every time.
    Could you elaborate why you prefer the Tarmac
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    espon123 wrote:
    BMXboy10 wrote:

How was comfort between the two?

Hard to explain as the Tarmac was a 54 and the Roubaix is a 56. The Tarmac amazed me by how comfortable it was for a race bike. It is amazing especially with decent wheels and tyres. I had to set the front end up higher as I found it too low and did this by fitting some hover bars.

I initially struggled with the reach on the larger Roubaix but sorted this with a 90mm stem and some tweaking of the contact points. I have basically been able to mirror the riding position of the Tarmac. I also have a steel bike that I ride and did a back to back test recently between this and the Roubaix. The moment I I got back on the Roubaix I could feel the bike working away underneath me i.e. the seat post and future shock.

I would say that are both very comfortable bikes but in different ways and either way you will be happy if you get the right size. I guess you need to choose the best bike for the riding you do? The Tarmac disc will be a very versatile bike as is the Roubaix....
  • slowmart
    espon123 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Could you elaborate why you prefer the Tarmac

I run my Tarmac on 24mm tyres, it’s comfortable, faster steering with stable handling whilst still providing you the choice of being able to change your line mid corner.

In comparisons the Roubaix felt heavier and slower in terms of steering and handling but equally as stable as the Tarmac.

There’s enough to provide daylight between the two geometries although I’ll add the caveat the Roubaix was 2013 and my Tarmac is 2015.

I’m usually a bike whore, changing every couple of years but I’m still chuffed to bits with the Tarmac and there nothing out there currently which has turned my head, although I do like the look of the new S Works but can’t justify the outlay to benefits for a mediocre rider such as myself.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • slowmart
    Whilst all the advice is subjective, ask your dealer for extended back to back rides on both bikes which will provide you all the information for your decision.

Desmond Tutu
  • Slowmart wrote:
    Whilst all the advice is subjective, ask your dealer for extended back to back rides on both bikes which will provide you all the information for your decision.

I totally agree, unfortunately I can't find a dealer that has a 61 frame size on stock :|
  • slowmart
    Have you tried a concept store?

I don’t think you’ll regret either option, both are excellent bikes and the latest iteration of the Roubaix seems to be more focused to comfort but I’ve never thought I wish I was on my Roubaix rather than my Tarmac even on 120 mile plus rides

Enjoy the journey of choosing as it’s a lovely question to have to make

Desmond Tutu