2003 Cannondale R800 - tire size for better comfort

outsidezion
outsidezion Posts: 3
edited August 2019 in Road general
so, I am dealing with a running injury and really looking forward to getting back on my old 2003 R800 CAAD5 road bike. It is still in great shape. I really want a new gravel bike but cannot justify the outlay for a 2nd or 3rd degree level hobby when I spend most of my free-time running on the trails.

I'm having a compact crank put on it and a new BB and headset. My goal is to make it more comfortable in the hills. Those hills are all I have around here along with the rough pavement and tar-and-chip secondary roads.

1. Can I squeeze a 28mm tire on this bike?
2. What tire for better comfort and all-around rough road riding.

Comments

• banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    Had one those very stiff and not comfortable, running 21mm and 23mm in those days as well. Don't know what the running clearance was though.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's an old frame design - doubt you'd get anything bigger than 25mm on it - and these might be too tight depending on tyre brand.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    lovely bike but youll maybe get a 25mm on it. that is surprisingly noticeable even over a 23mm.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I'm driving down through France currently with my brothers CAAD 3 in the back.

They are old school frames, long before 25s and 28s were in vogue, I doubt your 5 is much different, but if you do have more space it will likely be on the front.

I have the same limitations on my CR1, and just run 25 up front, 23 on the rear.
    Unless you can find a 25 that sizes up a bit small.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks, interesting observations.... My LBS is trying to sell me on a Trek Checkpoint ALR5 which seems like a lovely all-around bike. Hard pitch to my lovely wife right now as I'm mostly a second-hand cyclist at the moment and winter around the corner.

May I ask: what 25mm tire might be most comfortable??
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Thanks, interesting observations.... My LBS is trying to sell me on a Trek Checkpoint ALR5 which seems like a lovely all-around bike. Hard pitch to my lovely wife right now as I'm mostly a second-hand cyclist at the moment and winter around the corner.

May I ask: what 25mm tire might be most comfortable??
    Veloflex clinchers 25mm don't come up larger than they should - which is both a benefit and a down-side if you think about it!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D