DA7800 callipers with DA9100 shifters

stebbo99
stebbo99 Posts: 14
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Hi all

I will be building a new bike over the winter and wondered if there are issues with mixing DA7800 callipers with the newest shifters. My existing brakes are in fab condition so want to reuse them if possible.
I have had a look on the web but can find anything definitive.
Thanks
Stuart.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    They will work up to a point, but are less than ideal.

The brake pull on the newer levers has changed, so that more cable is pulled at the lever, and more cable is required to pull the new calipers.

Using old calipers, the brakes will engage quickly, but to actually get a strong braking force you need to squeeze the levers hard - harder than is comfortable - it can be fatiguing over a long distance.

I've run a bike like this for a couple of years (105 5500 calipers with 5800 levers) and it was 'fine' - I never crashed or anything like that - but I recently swapped the calipers for some Tiagra 4600 units I had spare (which use the newer pull ratio), and I have to say it has made a rather nice improvement to the feel of the bike.

Dura ace 7900 was the point where they changed to the new brake pull ratio, you can also use 5700 or newer 105, 6700 or newer ultegra, 4600 or newer tiagra if you happen to have them.

Personally if I was buying dura ace I wouldn't settle for the second class braking that you'll get with the old calipers.
  • stebbo99
    Thanks Timothy. I wasn’t sure if the pull ratio had changed. News brakes it is then.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    TimothyW wrote:

The brake pull on the newer levers has changed, so that more cable is pulled at the lever, and more cable is required to pull the new calipers.

Using old calipers, the brakes will engage quickly, but to actually get a strong braking force you need to squeeze the levers hard - harder than is comfortable - it can be fatiguing over a long distance.

I've run a bike like this for a couple of years (105 5500 calipers with 5800 levers) and it was 'fine' - I never crashed or anything like that - but I recently swapped the calipers for some Tiagra 4600 units I had spare (which use the newer pull ratio), and I have to say it has made a rather nice improvement to the feel of the bike.

Dura ace 7900 was the point where they changed to the new brake pull ratio, you can also use 5700 or newer 105, 6700 or newer ultegra, 4600 or newer tiagra if you happen to have them.

Personally if I was buying dura ace I wouldn't settle for the second class braking that you'll get with the old calipers.

what sort of distance are talking before they become "fatiguing" out of interest?

10m? 100m? 10km?

#justaskin"
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    TimothyW wrote:

what sort of distance are talking before they become "fatiguing" out of interest?

10m? 100m? 10km?

#justaskin"

I would be fatigued just looking at the mismatch.

#ocd
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just sell the old ones on ebay - the 9100 calipers are way better.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the opposite combination; old 5600 levers with newer 5800 calipers, and the difference works in my favour. They work very well together.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    I have an entire da9000 groupset and nothing to put it on
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

whats ya budget?

#negotiations
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • stebbo99

I am going to Varonha Frameworks for my new machine. https://www.varonha.co.uk/ Winston used to build frames for Chas Roberts before Chas retired. Lovely chap, great craftsman.