Ultegra 8000 hoods to small

paddy_pumpkin
paddy_pumpkin Posts: 33
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Just bought a new bike and I find the hoods are too small. When I place my hands on the hoods I find that the part that contacts my hand between my thumb and forefinger is too thin....almost sharp, so is uncomfortable, especially descending.

I previously had 105 group set and like the bigger hoods. They weight was distributed over a larger area as the contact point between thumb and forefinger was more rounded. Is there anyway I can make the hood bigger on R8000 so that they mimic the 105 hoods?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There isn't any way to make the hoods bigger - at least not without some nasty-looking home-made bodge. If you like the 105 hood shape, then just use 105 levers.
  • Di2....so think I cannot change the levers. Or can I?
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I had a similar issue when I first got my SRAM Etap. I packed a few bits of thick bar tape under the hoods.
    Eventually I got used to the shape and removed them.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Di2....so think I cannot change the levers. Or can I?

Well, considering there isn't a 105 Di2 (at least not yet) then the answer is probably no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Black sugru over the hoods. Or wear mitts ? Probably a better idea.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Just bought a new bike and I find the hoods are too small. When I place my hands on the hoods I find that the part that contacts my hand between my thumb and forefinger is too thin....almost sharp, so is uncomfortable, especially descending.

I previously had 105 group set and like the bigger hoods. They weight was distributed over a larger area as the contact point between thumb and forefinger was more rounded. Is there anyway I can make the hood bigger on R8000 so that they mimic the 105 hoods?

Interesting when the majority complaint was the old hoods were too big. As a convert from SRAM, the new shape hoods are much better for me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Layer up some gel pads and tape around the hoods to "beef" them up?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i find the lever drop from hoods to be awful - even changing the span hasn't helped. its just a weird shape.

older ultegra were better.

#mediocre
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.